Stumps mini clone from existing box 24% over

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Leonard

Re: Stumps mini clone from existing box 24% over

Post by LeonardK » December 14th, 2018, 4:21 pm

When I really started to look at how to build the mini GF like the forum does, not trying to make my first box/idea work, it seemed so much better.

Although 16ga skin may be called for, some have opted for 14ga to skin the boxes. Me too. Better to weld .035" fluxcore.

I've decided for 2" sq tube. 1/4 may be really good but 20ft is 109#, 3/16 is 87#...22# difference.

What thickness do you think is best?

Starting by building fireboxes, is ashtray OK out of 1/4"... thinking it is because you put a tray in there too, so the tray would burn up instead of the structure.

Leonard

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » December 15th, 2018, 7:38 am

3/16 is more than plenty for your tube steal.

1/4 for your ash pan is overkill in my opinion. It isn't subject to heat that would require anything more that what you use for your skins...I would use scrap from them to make it.

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by LeonardK » January 13th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Hi
Tackling .5" plate cuts with plasma torch, think I like gas better

Those who have built and are using Gravity Feed smokers, as you look at how yours is holding up, would you make the firebox taller now to better survive the heat???

I have 3-5/16 above the burn window, close to plan. I'm hoping this lasts at least 10yrs. Being I have more .5" plate and other stuff, planning on cutting more for more fireboxes/GFs.

As a matter of hindsight, would you make your firebox taller to last longer?

Firebox window 3n5-16ths enough half inch plate.jpg
Welding Cart in use 1.jpg

Leonard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Re: Stumps mini clone about regular size

Post by LeonardK » January 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Victor Cutmaster 42

At first using stock tips on .5" seemed tough cutting with 240v, then switched to tips with larger orifice, kind of like using a #2 with gas instead of a zero tip

Just in case anyone else has some similar issues. I'm gonna pierce with the junky worn out ones then switch to better tips for cutting. Hard to pierce but easy to cut.
Victor Cutmaster 42 better cut using 60 amp tips.jpg
60amp tip larger orifice Left.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LivnDream
beginner
beginner

Post by LivnDream » January 13th, 2019, 8:21 pm

what plasma torch you runnin on the cutmaster 42 sl40 sl60

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by LeonardK » January 13th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Hi
I like to see all these interesting modifications that make things work better. Michael303 mod mini.

All they had at welding supply store was 60A tips? guess. Looked at box... 4200-SL60 OK so maybe that has something to do with why those tips work better. As with gas I like bigger tips but they use more gas, doesn't matter with plasma tho. So next time I need tips (tips?) wonder if they got 80 amp or 100 amp, they would work better?

I really don't understand amps in this regard because at 240v this just couldn't be pulling 60a unless the tip voltage is low and current is raised like in step-down transformers. Got curiosity up to see what voltage at tip is for cutting max setting on 240v.

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by LeonardK » January 25th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Here's two GF furnaces finished, but, I see I forgot to weld bottom of one.

BBQ supply seems to favor the 1.5" insulation implying most of you are building your GFs using 1.5" and not 2" tubing, is 1.5" OK or what most are using?

It would be some cheaper and lighter

My 2 GF furnaces.jpg
My 2 GF furnaces 2.jpg

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by LeonardK » January 25th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Some people can cut real nice or have the grill teeth machined.
I just couldn't cut neat enough with the plasma and it would be a pierce for each of the 9 windows thru half inch plate.

Later I figured a trick, line em up and drag the rod over them clamped with wood so each is held. All tacks done in about a minute. Best I could make this look using square stock.

Since this is not a bought plan for the furnace, just mine, and I did it some different, hoping to manage ash better, thought I'd post it and since I made many others that were not quite up to par or good. This one is scale and cutting the 3/16" for chute into even 24" leaves total height including some random both ends... 37" tall few inches to trim later... or make CC bigger

My plans are to make 3 racks having 6" space between using 3/4" angle for racks and make CC about 31" tall internal

For durability, I painted outside with that BBQ paint from home depot, should make furnace last 2x as long.

As expensive as Tel-Tru are, I'm going to only put them on the one I intend to keep and use, they're $58 at BBQ supply, but they sure look nice!
Firebox final design FB Ash + Chute Combination 25 details crop.jpg
The Grill Teeth, 18 fits n tacks N 1 Minute!!!.jpg
Tel-Tru BQ300 Barbecue Thermometer, 3 inch glow dial with zones, 4 inch stem blak bak narrow 3.jpg
tel-tru-glow-in-the-dark-glowing-1.jpg

Leonard

LeonardK
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Re: Stumps mini clone

Post by LeonardK » February 1st, 2019, 11:50 pm

Working on furnaces, the 4th one here shows that different grill track, thought THIS time, to weld side plates and supports before installing the furnace bottom.
Furnace grill track 1.jpg

Leonard

Return to “Smoker Clones”