Center feed tube build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Center feed tube build

Post by towtruck » November 4th, 2018, 4:16 pm

After cooking with it today I found out I need to make a different pair of hooks to handle the hot charcoal baskets. I was using a pair of hay hooks to pull them out and that worked well until this cook when I recharged the basket with another lit chimney.....while the hay hooks pull well they don't push real well and the hook slips into the basket. It's too hot to handle with welding gloves on so I will make a set of basket pullers that will let me push them back in as well as pull them out. I was grabbing onto the cross bar and the end....I think I will keep doing that but with a better designed hook.

After sleeping on it my brain finally kicked in.....I just used some 1" tube and welded on handles to the ends of the baskets that are 13" long. I can now reach in and grab them with gloves and pull out the baskets. Putting them back in is a breeze and both hands are behind the fire not over it. No silly hooks to mess with!

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » November 9th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I had a chance to weigh my trailer yesterday on our scale at work......1400 lbs. Sure does not look like it weighs that much but it towed like it.

I am going to add an intake damper to the bbq, beef up the handles I made on the smoker fire baskets, and add another small flat shelf over the right fender, and that should do it. Last nights cooking at work was a good test run on how it operates.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 9th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Good to hear that your cook went well. It's crazy how fast the weight adds up when you're building a cooker.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by towtruck » November 13th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I cooked another batch of chicken on the bbq this weekend and decided the bypass plate needed to go. The coals sit too high when on top of it. I cut it out and dropped a narrow grate in the bottom. I still have to make an air intake control but the extra 3" of height over the coals should do the trick.

Here is the handle I put on the fire baskets for the smoker to help get them in and out easier..

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”