Also called Stump's Clone.
Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Slam Latch Concerns

Post by Texasbowhunter » July 8th, 2018, 11:54 am

Morning guys
Comming along very nicely on my Gravity feed and have run into a Hiccup
Now before I get into the concern let me say I digressed from my drawing...having done this I did not realize it would have had such a slow down on progress...
1st...the gasket I used for the C/C was the 1 x 1/4" Lava Lock Nomex
http://bbqgaskets.com/cook-chamber/lava ... -seal.html
I set the gap between the Frame and the door at @.130-.135 @ 50% of the thickness of the gasket...To confirm the gap I measured the thickness of the gasket with calipers...now in all fairness I did roll the knob down till there seemed to be no resistence and got @.125 and felt that the @.130 was acceptable...

2nd...The slam latch I used was a Kason Edgemount Verticule Latch the 0174 model which has a strong spring in it over the 0177 Kason latch...I know I deviated from the latches called out where the Drawings called out a Horizontal Style Latch however I though this would give a cleaner look and later perhaps allowed me to put a larger metal laser cut something on the door over time...
latch used
http://www.kasonind.com/index.php/produ ... _latches1/

Now with all this, the problem Im running into is seemingly the week spring inside the latch when I close the door with the resistance on the gasket to ensure a seal will not stay latched...it just reverses itself and the door pops open unless I force the door closed and use the keyed lock to secure the mechnizum does not allow it to pop open...Although the mfg states its a positive latch and will not allow the accidental opening of the latch it will not stay secured
or
The gap for the gasket should have been a bit greater then .130 -.135
or
a Combination of Both

So the delima Im in, is ordering a new Latch the model specific or apply a thinner gasket or both
The slam latch that the drawings calls out for, will the latch stay secured if the gasket gap is a bit tight for the thickness of the gasket...
Does the latch with over compression on the gasket is the latch designed to stay locked and secure the door from accidental opening of the door...is it a true positive design latch...If not then I will rule out the latch and play with gaskets material and manual locks design...
Thanks for any help on this mater...
paul

pr0wlunwoof
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Slam Latch Concerns

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 8th, 2018, 1:01 pm

I also had issues with my latch. I put 4 bar clamps on the door, 2 top and bottom. Then cut the hinge and rewelded. Working good now.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Texasbowhunter » July 8th, 2018, 1:15 pm

This I have contemplated as well, however it is already powder coated...Worse case scenario I will have to go there
Until then I hope for another solution...

Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Texasbowhunter » July 8th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I have also thought about ordering 1/8" gasket
Appling a liberal amount of RTV sealant to adhere gasket and secure door with slam latch presently on and let sit over night to cure
Then hope for the best in sealing smoke/heat in...
Presently I have 3/16" x 1/2" wide coming soon and will try it...hoping this is the solution buy if not I have to get ready for something different...thought here is there will be less surface of material to compress and thinner which hopefully will be a solution...
paul

pr0wlunwoof
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by pr0wlunwoof » July 9th, 2018, 7:08 am

Ah. Yeah I just painted mine myself so I touched up afterwards. I thought about the smaller gasket also, but re-welding was quicker, cheaper, and I had the ability to paint it again.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”