newbie to all this

Tell us a little about yourself!
ed-ct
beginner
beginner

newbie to all this

Post by ed-ct » July 5th, 2018, 2:59 pm

I love bbq, never smoked, and was given a smokey mountain 18 for christmas.

So far this summer I've smoked st louis ribs and a pork shoulder with hickory chunks, and beef ribs with mesquite chunks.

I've used cowboy lump charcoal and have had trouble maintaining coals and proper temperature. When i spent an extended period with the shoulder, it prompted me to look at modifications for heating and I've found propane and electric options.

I'd like to try a propane conversion first, so i'll start a thread on it, show what parts I've found that may work, and get some expert input here.

Thx

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: newbie to all this

Post by ajfoxy » July 5th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Welcome

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 5th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Welcome aboard!! Be careful with the propane and make sure that you have all of the safety features needed to avoid an explosion. I would recommend trying a different brand of charcoal before you begin modifying your current set up, I've never had much luck with Cowboy lump either.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 6th, 2018, 8:15 am

Propane is definitely not recommended. A smoker is too tightly sealed which makes it dangerous. If you are looking for a "hands off" smoking experience I would recommend pellet first and then electric.

Don't be discouraged...those smokers are extremely difficult to master. I ran a clone for 8-10 years before I upgraded. It can produce great food but you need to be patient and make small adjustments. I took detailed notes and that helped me a lot to move thru the Learning curve.

We would be happy to help you further....

How are you adding your charcoal? Adding unlit charcoal to a hot fire is not real effective. I have had great success by completely filling my basket with lump charcoal and then dumping 1 chimney of lit lump on top. The hot stuff gradually lights the stuff below it and I have gotten 5-6 hours of consistent and steady temps this way. Only caution is don't let The fire get away from you by allowing too much air intake as it is hard to choke back off.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 13th, 2018, 7:32 am

Yes I agree with all the others. I hate that Cowboy lump, it ruined 10# of chicken for me. It smelled odd the whole cook then I found all sorts of debris in the leftover charcoal. I won’t even use it to light my stick burner.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Introduce yourself!”