New french in town

Tell us a little about yourself!
Newsmoke
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

New french in town

Post by Newsmoke » June 12th, 2018, 4:43 am

Hi Everyone!

My name is Paul, french guy living in Hong Kong! I discovered slow cooking with my Weber Kettle (don't shame) on my balcony!

I'm planning to go back in France where meat is much more affordable and tastier. I want to open a bbq joint there! I've been hoarding all the information possible until I arrived on your forum! What a gold mine! I am basing my build on Franklin bbq offset smoker and used the Feldon calculator. What do you think about it and the 1/3 rule firebox?

As I'm now reading all your threads i have a few questions: How do you guys handle those heavy tanks? Not all of you have a crane in there backyard (or do you!) Also is there any french guys here to discuss "tank sourcing and build in France"? In your opinion what is the best steel thickness for a smoker? Do you use insulated firebox? I'm keen on reading the thread regarding this!
My build project will only start in september 2018 and I have a lot of things to figure out! Do most of you find propane tank for your build or does it make more sens "time wise" to get someone to roll some steel?

I'll have more questions down the line, it's just the beginning of the adventure!
Thanks for your comments

Looking forward of participating in this forum
Paul

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New french in town

Post by ajfoxy » June 12th, 2018, 5:59 am

Welcome to the crew.
Can't help you much on sourcing a tank in France. Google is your friend... well not actually your friend as it sells all your info, but it is a helpful resource. If you do struggle, I am sure that any halfway competent sheetmetal fabrication place could roll a 4 mm or 6 mm plate into a very nice round shape. It has the added bonus of not having to clean out all sorts of crud and crap from the used tank.
I think most people use either an engine hoist or similar to pick up the tanks. Or else they get all their friends together for a BBQ and lifting party... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

New french in town

Post by Rodcrafter » June 12th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Welcome to the crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 12th, 2018, 2:27 pm

1. No smoking on a balcony...fire hazzard.
2. Find a pipe supplier...or build itout of sheetand go square.
3. Somewhere in the 0.25 inch area is good thickness....holds heat well without getting impossible to work with
4. Most here dont use feldon...see our calculator at top of page.
5. Insulation helps fuel efficiency and keeps outer skin a bit cooler for safety...more work to build, both work.
6. A reliable pit is essential for a bbq business...check out the easy to follow plans on the site...definately worth the money.
7. Welcome...have fun and ask away!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 12th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Welcome aboard!! :yth: You should take a look at Lou Ann in the offset section that Frank just built. It's a 1000 gallon offset smoker with an insulated FB. There's a lot of pictures and good information in there.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Newsmoke
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Newsmoke » June 13th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Awesome! Thanks for your warm welcome ! Don't you think that the shape of a tank makes a better airflow compared to a flat sided cylinder? I'll definitely check the forum calculator! Regarding the smoker builder plans I noticed that most are reverse flow smoker or the 2 horizontal offset have the warming cabinet. Any plans with just horizontal offset? Is there a thread about the bufferplate?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Mine is a pipe with square ends...runs great. I’ve seen smokers made out of tanks, refridgerators, filing cabinets and fish aquariums. I’m a firm believer that shape isnt as much of a factor as proper airflow.

Traditional offsets are great but reverse flows tend to have better heat distribution (in my experience, i own both). If you dont want thewarming cabinet, just dont build it.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 14th, 2018, 12:08 am

That’s right the warmer cabinet doesn’t require any different calculations as long as it’s above the FB.

Shape doesn’t seem to matter in my experience. Except for the squared pits hold more and pans are square so it helps in capacity.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Newsmoke
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Newsmoke » June 14th, 2018, 12:53 am

Thank for your replies guys, I think I'm just splitting hair in quarters trying to find the perfect set up but at the end there isn't. I guess I'll have to go with a design and just know how it behaves .

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 14th, 2018, 4:27 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 15th, 2018, 8:43 pm

You’re almost correct to say there’s not a perfect setup. But the thing is, it takes a pizza oven to cook pizza perfect, and various smokers cook great brisket. And few grills cook like wood fired grills. So each setup can be perfect for what it does best. But not one does everything perfect. That is why we have so many.

See I’ve been practicing this line for my wife. LoL

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 15th, 2018, 9:08 pm

=)) RC, I can see you have that line of thinking down to a fine art. So tell me, does the missus believe you or just let you get away with it... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Newsmoke
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Newsmoke » June 18th, 2018, 10:33 pm

You are right RC and thanks for the tip, it will help me in explaining why I will have different cranes, tig welders etc!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 20th, 2018, 9:33 am

AJ
My wife knows me well enough to roll her eyes when I put on my best story when talking about smokers. Last night she said what is that Amazon order? I said it’s my solar battery charger for my smoker. She said what for? I said the battery that runs the hydraulic pump and lights. She said what lights? I said the ones I installing. I hope she doesn’t kill me in my sleep.

My thoughts are, If Reed (aka) Fortycreek can have cool lighting I can too.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 20th, 2018, 9:48 am

The moral of the story, for those of you that are new, is don't use amazon as the box always causes others to ask what it is.

True story.....

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm

=)) Getting to the stage when we have to ask the supplier to put it in plain brown packaging.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”