1st reverse flow smoker build questions

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
konichek1

1st reverse flow smoker build questions

Post by konichek1 » June 9th, 2018, 11:58 pm

I recently started a build and have a few questions. Please bare with me. My build is based on a 20”x46.5” 1/4” air compressor tank. I first used Felton’s calculator which gave me a 10.9” cc to fb cut. I cut it out and it seemed to small so I went to researching more and found the calculators on here which gives me a cut at 16.35”. That is with a 1/2” bridge. Before I go cutting anymore I would like to hear some more experienced advice. I am planning on a 18” square firebox. The pic is the cut at 10.9”. Thanks for any advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: 1st reverse flow smoker build questions

Post by Dirtytires » June 10th, 2018, 12:30 am

I ran the numbers and found an 18 inch firebox is a bit big at 120%...recommend 17.5 inch square which puts you at 110%. With that said, top width of cut is 16.120, bottom width of cut is 6.245 (to give the half inch dam) and the height of the cut is 3.581.

The numbers here are a bit different than Felton’s...I can vouch that they work....but you gotta trust them.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 10th, 2018, 7:18 am

Have you used the calculator that Pete made for this purpose?

app.php/page/other-calcs

This may help you check your math just to be sure. This is such a critical part it really must be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Yes....by all means double check me. I used the calculators but you should run them and get the full set of dimensions for air intakes, stack, throat and the like.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”