Intake/Exhaust Type

Discussions about turning that old refrigerator into a Smoker
stubz

Intake/Exhaust Type

Postby stubz » April 25th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Hi All, I am very green when it comes to smoking and builing smokers. The fridge I am currently using has a 4" space between the outside and inside panel of the fridge. Not sure those dimensions matter but at least it's an idea. I have been trying to work on an intake and exhaust on my fridge smoker which has been leaving me to ponder many possibilities. So I thought all of you would be the best for getting some concepts or answers.

I have read that using galvanized pipe is not good. Is this true for exhaust pipe? I was hoping to find a 3" pipe that I could damper for the exhaust and put a rain cap on it. Also wondering if it would be better to vent it out the top of the back of the fridge.

I am also looking for input on what to use for intake on the fridge. I would like the ability to control the intake air as well.

Any ideas on items I could use or links to items I could buy that would be great. Even sharing pictures telling me what material you used for each area would be helpful. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it since this is my first smoker so please keep that in mind. If I do need to spend some money to make it right I will do that though.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Intake/Exhaust Type

Postby Big T » April 25th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Welcome aboard!! I would stay away from the galvanized material if at all possible. You can definitely run the stack out of the back of the unit as long as it's as high as possible. I'm not sure what your thoughts are on the design of the FB so I can't recommend a particular style of intake. There's a few smokers on the forum that are built from refrigerators so you may be able to get some ideas from them.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Postby Frank_Cox » April 25th, 2018, 8:40 pm

yep, what Big T said...
also, what are you wanting to use for fuel? charcoal, wood, pellets, etc?

stubz

Postby stubz » April 28th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Using wood chips. Really justvtrying to find somewhere that sells something i could uae. Any online shop ect

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Postby Pete Mazz » April 29th, 2018, 3:40 am

Wood chips won't keep going on their own. You'd need electric or charcoal as the base. Is this a cold smoker? If not, better make sure of the insulation. Most fridges used foam and it's not good with higher heat. We'd need to know size of the unit, what temp you're intending to reach, fuel type, etc. Pics of the fridge would help as well.

There's a link to BBQsmokerSupply.com at the bottom of the main page. They sell intakes of all sizes.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Refrigerator Smokers”