Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: It's time.

Post by Dirtytires » November 10th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Chromeski wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm
Do you have round bar for the grate or square? I've heard others mention ash staying on the gate. I'm about to actually start building my mini and I'm planning round just not sure if that will change anything.
I believe this is on a gravity feed...where the charcoal drops down a chute into a firebox. If not bumped every couple of hours the ash will definately build up as the fire can burn unattended for hours. Charcoal is a different animal than logs and does tend to ash over some.

The other post was on a log burning offset where the user appeared to be constantly knocking all the coals thru the grate. In my opinion, logs don’t really ash over all that much and simply adding a new log every 45 min will keep your fire stirred up. I never knock down my log fires in either the smoker or my fireplace as I don’t want to destroy the coals.

JKalchik
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » November 10th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Yes, double pan gravity feed.

I am burning lump hardwood charcoal, not briquettes. Over a 24 hour burn, I'll get between a pint and a quart of ash, really not all that much. If I burn briquettes, I'll get 4 or 5 times as much ash (pretty much only did that for seasoning runs.) When I knocked it down earlier today, I got about a cup of ash down through the grate.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 10th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Chromeski wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm
Do you have round bar for the grate or square? I've heard others mention ash staying on the gate. I'm about to actually start building my mini and I'm planning round just not sure if that will change anything.
I believe this is on a gravity feed...where the charcoal drops down a chute into a firebox. If not bumped every couple of hours the ash will definately build up as the fire can burn unattended for hours. Charcoal is a different animal than logs and does tend to ash over some.

The other post was on a log burning offset where the user appeared to be constantly knocking all the coals thru the grate. In my opinion, logs don’t really ash over all that much and simply adding a new log every 45 min will keep your fire stirred up. I never knock down my log fires in either the smoker or my fireplace as I don’t want to destroy the coals.
Yes, I agree. I know some gravity feed units were built with square grates in the firebox

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 10th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Carry on then....just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.

:beer:

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”