1st Build Attempt

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: 1st Build Attempt

Post by Big T » February 18th, 2018, 5:45 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » February 24th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Decided to go this direction with it. Lots to do on the firebox before I can begin to join the two of them.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 24th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Good choice.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » February 24th, 2018, 9:00 pm

The most difficult part of this is reminding myself that (a) it's my first build and (b) it does not have to be perfect the first try. I don't consider myself a perfectionist but if you do something, you should the very best you can with what you have available.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » February 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Good advice to self... sometimes difficult to remember though. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Post by Cole » February 25th, 2018, 7:38 am

Early on before my current build on one of the posts I read were building smokers not a airplane or space ship, or something like that! But I get it Grems4Ever, yesterday was measuring test fitting before I cut, convinced I was on the money, then I cut on the wrong side of the line, the short side. It sucked, 40 minutes to fix. Gave my smoker some more Character!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 25th, 2018, 9:36 am

Hey practice may not make perfect but it will help us improve.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » February 25th, 2018, 11:51 am

Wise monk say....draw thinner lines.

=)) =)) =))

Just kidding, we have all done it. I often mark the “bad” side of the line with an X to denote it is the drop side. Seems silly but it’s work to correct a mistake.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » February 25th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I'm not going to even try to count the number of times I've cut on the wrong side of the line. The number would be way too embarrassing. :headwall:

Made the sleeve to line the opening between the firebox to the smoke chamber. It's made out of 2" wide 3/16th steel, but I'm wondering if I should have used 3". The inside opening is 38 sq. in. which is just larger than the 37.634 sq. In. recommended by the throat calculator. I just need to finish laying out the location of the firebox air intake and where I want the sleeve to fit and it will be time to start cutting & welding on the firebox. It's getting close enough that I can almost smell the smoke. :grillin: :beer:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 25th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Oh yeah!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 9th, 2018, 6:05 pm

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I finally had a pretty open day with beautiful weather to work on the firebox.

The opening cut in the bottom of the smoke chamber that the firebox will attach.

Firebox passage mocked up on the firebox. Just as I started to weld it up, the nozzle on my welder came apart so I had to stop and pick up another one.

Door cut and the passage and hinges burned in. I tried to use the same metal on the door that I did on the smoke chamber, but it was thicker than the tank and was warping the door out of shape. I'm going to find something thinner for around the door.e

Along with all this, I also managed to set my glove on fire. \:D/

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 9th, 2018, 6:28 pm

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there are still two issues I have yet to completely figure out.

1. How to work out the air intake vents on the curved surface of the tank. I saved the piece I cut out for the chimney thinking I might be able to fashion up some sort of sliding setup on the opposite side of the door. I haven't gotten much further than that.

2. How far into the tank do I need to set the smoke stack. I've heard everything from 1" above the cook grate to flush with the top of the tank. Is there a definitive answer on this?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

I would frame out the tank to make a flat air intake. That way you could use a simple slide on it.

The debate on the chiminey goes on. I put mine on the top.

How did you fire your glove? A good leather welding glove is hard to flame up. You didn’t skimp on safety and use a work glove, did you?

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 9th, 2018, 8:08 pm

It was a woven kevlar glove made specifically for handling sheet metal in automotive stamping plants. It had a frayed area on the canvas cuff and a spark from grinding hit it just right.

Thanks for the idea - I'll have to ponder that.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Wow...bet that surprised you!

I sparked a pair of blue jeans once with a plasma cutter but never noticed a thing at the time. My wife pulls them out of the dryer a week later and I have a straight line of holes from my waist right down to my boot-line. Next day she hands me a pair of rated FR pants and long sleeve shirt to weld in.

Second thought on the air intake...you could snub-nose the end of the tank with a round plate and a nifty circle pinwheel vent.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 10th, 2018, 12:12 pm

I hope it doesn’t happen but it could be that as the fire burns below the door of the FB, the door will warp from the heat. Don’t build a big ole fire or it just might.

Making memories!

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 10th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Wow...bet that surprised you!

I sparked a pair of blue jeans once with a plasma cutter but never noticed a thing at the time. My wife pulls them out of the dryer a week later and I have a straight line of holes from my waist right down to my boot-line. Next day she hands me a pair of rated FR pants and long sleeve shirt to weld in.

Second thought on the air intake...you could snub-nose the end of the tank with a round plate and a nifty circle pinwheel vent.
Oddly enough, it didn't. I just snuffed it out and kept on going.

The pinwheel vent is a possibility. I'm really missing the random surplus junk store we used to have down the road. If you needed an oddball bit or piece, they would likely have it. It got hammered by a twister several years ago and the owners just closed up shop rather than rebuild.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I hope it doesn’t happen but it could be that as the fire burns below the door of the FB, the door will warp from the heat. Don’t build a big ole fire or it just might.

Making memories!
I'm more than just a little concerned about that myself. That tank turned out to be thinner than I anticipated so I'm going to have to watch it.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 11th, 2018, 11:20 am

Dirtytires wrote:I would frame out the tank to make a flat air intake. That way you could use a simple slide on it.
After a careful inventory of building supplies, I have decided that this is the direction I'm going. I've already got 90% of the materials and what I don't have is relatively cheap and easy to find around here...

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 11th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I now have a whole pile of pieces parts cut out and awaiting welding. I even pulled the old driveshaft out and got it cut down for the exhaust stack. In case you're worried - it's getting thoroughly cleaned before installation. The last thing I need is the wife wondering why the ribs taste like an old car. :oopssign:

I've done all that I can do without being able to weld stuff up. I think the opening to the air intake may be a little choked down, but it was already a smidge too big to begin with. I think I'll be able to trim some of the interference before installing it to open it up back up.

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Made some small steps forward this afternoon...

Extended the passage between the firebox and the smoke chamber 1"...

Fabbed up the fresh air intake for the firebox...

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 16th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Nice work :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 17th, 2018, 12:01 am

Nice work

Grems4Ever
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Grems4Ever » March 17th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Other than some handles where they need to be and maybe a fire grate of some sort, the fire box is pretty much done. It's just about time to start final assembly. :welder:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 18th, 2018, 12:22 am

Almost there....

Return to “Standard Offsets”