Is this a bad shape for an offset?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
john_az
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Is this a bad shape for an offset?

Post by john_az » July 9th, 2019, 10:51 pm

A few more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 9th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Very nice.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

john_az
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by john_az » July 9th, 2019, 11:06 pm

A few more details on the cart... trying to save some weight... hahah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john_az
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by john_az » July 9th, 2019, 11:12 pm

The little cart is close to done, needs a floor of some type to set some wood on, or other gear.. and finish the pull handle... THEN I will then get back to the smoker...as this is a smoker builder forum, not a cart building forum... sorry to sidetrack everyone!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » July 10th, 2019, 12:18 am

Looks good... clearly you have an extensive set of dimple dies... and are not afraid to use them :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 10th, 2019, 8:49 am

Looks good but your low mounted stack may give you fits with temps. I hope it all works out because that is a nice build.

john_az
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by john_az » July 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

towtruck wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 8:49 am
Looks good but your low mounted stack may give you fits with temps. I hope it all works out because that is a nice build.
Interesting @towtruck, I was wondering about that.... i never really saw any info on 'stack exit' placement....?? I see all the homedepot ones the exit at the top... but then all the custom ones exit at main cooking grate level..... I was torn... but then all the "smoker hacks' for the homedepot smokers have guys extending that 'stack exit hole' down to the grate etc....

Currently, my stack is at the main cooking grate level... how much higher should it be? What if I added another "port" that ties into the stack closer to the top of the smoker....??? (though I have never seen anything like that, so im guessing its not a good idea??)

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 10th, 2019, 1:03 pm

I'm no expert by a long shot and many larger pits have the stack set down low. I hope those folks will chime it as well. There are several stories , some here, of people not getting good temps with that set up on the smaller pits. Only one way to find out if it works for you and that is to try it out...it's already made so I would run it and see what happens. They look like a way to trap a lot of heat on the upper racks and possibly have a wild temp difference top to bottom.

I'm sure Frank or one of the others could enlighten us more on the subject.

john_az
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by john_az » July 10th, 2019, 7:25 pm

towtruck wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 1:03 pm
I'm no expert by a long shot and many larger pits have the stack set down low. I hope those folks will chime it as well. There are several stories , some here, of people not getting good temps with that set up on the smaller pits. Only one way to find out if it works for you and that is to try it out...it's already made so I would run it and see what happens. They look like a way to trap a lot of heat on the upper racks and possibly have a wild temp difference top to bottom.

I'm sure Frank or one of the others could enlighten us more on the subject.
hmmm, hahha Im not sure what to think... expert.. non-expert.... well, forum profiles never lie... Im going with expert.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

ARe: Is this a bad shape for an offset?

Post by Smurf » July 10th, 2019, 8:10 pm

That's some really nice work ya got going on there! The handful of pits that I've built the stack is always at the top. No complaints from the owners so...... My two pits are the same. Again very impressive design!!

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » July 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

I think standard smokers (Franklin type) typically put them at cooking grate height and reverse flows at the top.

Return to “Standard Offsets”