Ribs on the smoker

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Ribs on the smoker

Post by towtruck » April 7th, 2019, 6:00 pm

I finally got around to smoking some more ribs on my smoker. I am trying to duplicate the way I made them on my old small smoker. I think I got the system down. I get the smoker up to 240-245* and slide the half racks in and let them smoke for 2.5 hours (small batch,larger takes 3 hrs). Then they get wrapped in foil with butter and apple juice and slid back in the smoker at 245* for another hour. Once they come out they went onto the grill over coals. I rotated them from the hot side to the cold side but let them smoke in the bbq too. I sauced them and set the sauce over the coals to get a little bark back on them. I really like the way they turned out and I should be able to do 8 racks and just assembly line them onto the bbq to finish them off at the end.......yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Mustard coated and then used Weber brand New Orleans Cajun rub on the top and Bone suckin sauce rub on the bottom. The crutch used butter and apple juice. The sauce is my own go to that I have posted the recipe here for.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Ribs on the smoker

Post by Big T » April 7th, 2019, 6:17 pm

:needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 7th, 2019, 6:24 pm

They ate good too! Nice bite and a clean bone....perfect.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » April 7th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Nice job tow truck!!! :beer:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 7th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Very nice :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Definitely a process! Sounds like they turned out pretty good.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm
Definitely a process! Sounds like they turned out pretty good.
I'm getting it dialed in pretty good. I used a combo of lump and briquettes. I heat the smoker up with lump then pour lit briquettes on as needed to keep the heat going. I learned real fast to bust up the lump charcoal into smaller pieces and try to burn similar sized pieces. I use the crumbs for the bbq and mix with briquettes to light them off. Lump in my smoker is very tedious to get right. I have not went with briquettes 100% as I still have lump hanging around. I will make the swap soon and use plain briquettes for the warm up and then use the applewood, hickory, or mesquite for the cooking. I have tried finishing the ribs off in the smoker to the end and I prefer to finish them on the bbq to get that sauce caramelized on there real good. If I were to smoke some naked ribs I could finish them in the smoker just fine. With the size and shape of my unique smoker the wood infused briquettes really do a good job of getting a healthy smoke ring without making a heavy smoke taste.

I also learned that while I can smoke the halves on the 45* racks I can't crutch them that way as the pouches leak. So, I smoke on the 45* racks and then wrap the halves and place them flat on the rack and remove the 45* holders. I can loosely pile the halves on top of one another for the crutch and they do fine.

Having the propane cook top makes it sooooo nice for kicking off chimneys.....glad I put it on there.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 8th, 2019, 11:37 am

Sounds like you are getting it dialed in nicely.

Return to “FOOD!”