Propane grill build.

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
S GA Farmer
beginner
beginner

Propane grill build.

Post by S GA Farmer » March 27th, 2019, 10:32 am

Have a 250 gallon tank that I'm building a gas grill with 60 gallon fire box. So it will be a gas grill/smoker. I'm trying to find gas burners to go in there. Has anyone ever seen any? Or built their own?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: Propane grill build.

Post by Chromeski » March 27th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I would consider choosing either a propane grill or a smoker the hybrid units often don't work as well. No matter what you do be very careful with propane you could accidentally build a bomb.
The burners are available I'm not sure where to get them because I've never built anything that needed one.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 28th, 2019, 12:16 am

So many things wrong here....smoker/grill combo with gas??

I’ve been on here a long time and it seems every week someone wants to do this. Problem is not very many are able to obtain a tolerable unit as there are so many compromises that nothing works like you think it will.

S GA Farmer
beginner
beginner

Post by S GA Farmer » March 28th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I appreciate the advice. I may just use it as as a smoker/ charcoal grill for now. Picked up a commercial fryer a few weeks ago. Got to build a drop down floor to install it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

S GA Farmer
beginner
beginner

Post by S GA Farmer » March 28th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Definitely nothing fancy, but I've only got $250 in steel for brace's, and grate. Just using up some junk and old boat trailer laying around the farm.

sailman
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by sailman » March 29th, 2019, 10:18 am

I did one out of a 250-gallon propane tank. The main heat source is two propane burners that I made out of inch and a half black iron pipe. I cut slits about 3/4 to 1 inch apart and on one end I had a black Iron cap and on the other end a black Iron reducer. Then I use the appropriate bushing to be able to neck down to my orifice. The reducer that I used sort of look like a bell and I drilled for quarter-inch holes evenly spaced around it. Added to all this you need to figure out some sort of thermocoupler shut off in case the burner goes out. To introduce smoke into the cooker it is best to use a chip tray in my opinion for this type of setup. You can cut the side of the barrel or tank for a slide-out tray and then make your chip tray on the end of your slide out. This should be positioned right over the burner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudy

Post by Rudy » April 1st, 2019, 11:51 am

Mine is a bit smaller scale, but I have an OK Joe horizontal offset that I converted to natural gas. I just used a 20k btu burner off Amazon, which runs full blast and holds 250F rock solid. I knew nothing when I built this, and it's worked flawlessly for the last year. I get great taste, awesome smoke ring, and NG is cheap. You do have to know some do's and don'ts so you don't blow things up, but it's not that much different than a regular gas BBQ.

I am about to start my second build, which will also be fired with NG. I bought a burner from Tejas smokers for it, as I want more BTU to be able to turn the heat up a bit, and the cooking area is bigger.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”