Competition vs Backyard BBQ

All about Competition BBQ.
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Competition vs Backyard BBQ

Post by Mo Smoke » March 16th, 2014, 8:32 am

Like a lot a folks, I'm hooked on watching Pittmasters. You see all these guys winning trophies and money and legends in the BBQ world. Everything they cook looks good and they talk an even better game. I can't wait to go to a competition and taste some of this award winning Que. But I read a post somewhere this morning and one guy said he's been to a lot of these competitions and that the food isn't always that great. He said he's had much better backyard bbq. The comps are for judges and kind of like gourmet cooking..all about presentation. I personally like really good home cooking better than the fancy expensive restaurants I've been too (went to Emerils in Miami once..sucked). Whats your take on Backyard vs the Competition Q, because while I can respect knowledge, skill, and awards, at the end of the day, if its finger licking good, and you can't get enough, who cares if it was cooked on a $15000 Jambo, or a weber from Home Depot.

Smoke em if ya got em.

CrazyD
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: CrazyQ
BBQ Comp Team Name: CrazyQ - New at it!

Re: Competition vs Backyard BBQ

Post by CrazyD » March 16th, 2014, 9:58 am

What i cook at home is diferent then at comps. At comps judges are looking for certian criteria. Alot of guys that cook comps dont cook their food at home the same way as at a comp. theyll like their butts briskets and ribs to be more tender or less tender or have a diferent flavor or sauce or whatever the case. At comps your cooking to be judged. At home your cooking to chow down on some grub so.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » March 16th, 2014, 1:03 pm

:yth:
We cook the same at every comp, but we do change up the rub and sauce some, depending where we are. At home I use one of our recipes, but as CD said, it will be different!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » March 16th, 2014, 1:09 pm

As I think about it, I can see why a good backyard throwdown might be more appealing to some folks. First off gotta consider personal taste. Second and probably most important are the restrictions placed on competitors. Some of my best que was the result of an overnight marinade, an obviously no time restriction on cooking. Plus some competitions ask for a certain style of cook or flavor, such as Memphis bbq. Go to a comp like that and you might make some great meat, but if its a georgia or Carolina style of flavor and cook, you're going to lose. All and all though, no matter what the deal is, there is no time when good shouldn't be enjoyable I don't care how pretty it is. I think there is one thing we can all agree on, if its good que, it's good eatin!

Smoke em if ya got em.

cypertj
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by cypertj » March 16th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I cook with S&P when I want to eat. Really season it up and sauce it when you only have one bite that counts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » March 16th, 2014, 5:54 pm

As everyone has said, comp quality is different than home smoking. Truth be told I really don't like the taste and tenderness of comp Q. My personal flavor profile is very different.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 19th, 2014, 8:24 am

2 reasons why people think comp que is not as good as home que.....
1) the thing you need to remember about competition que is the good teams are trying to cook the best average que they can cook. there are too many differences in the flavor profiles and preferences to please them all. so the one that has the least shock factor to the judge is going to do the best in overall score.
2) at home you can use as much wow factor as you want. the rest of the teams are always trying to guess "What the Judges are looking for" so they tend to over do some of the flavor profile.

:needfood:

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » March 19th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Frank_Cox wrote: so the one that has the least shock factor to the judge is going to do the best in overall score.
so my peanut butter glazed baby backs in a sesame oil sauce, while being one of a kind, are probably just asking for low scores. I wish I had read this a few years ago, this explains a lot.

BTW, that is almost a direct qoute from one of the televised comps a few years back. The celebrity cook being followed said his ribs turned out so bad the only reason he didn't finish last was contestant # ... turned in peanut butter glazed ribs. :BDHorse:
Man o man someone should have slapped that ole boy up side the head for even thinking that was a good recipe.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 19th, 2014, 8:53 pm

:beer: :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » July 23rd, 2014, 7:57 pm

Well MoSmoke,

Good question. As I sit here tonight just reading through your thought proving question, it put much of the conflicts I see between TV and my latest " home BBQ" into perspective. My preference has always been fall off the bone tender and not too spicy...Long, long, long time before I'd ever thought of cooking my self let alone building one.

I know I'd never survive comps. Being a pitmasters addicted couch potato, I would wish I could find an event to go to and try all the different flavors out there. Did it once, paid $25 for my wife and I to get in. Paid $25.00 for a full rack of stringy, tough ribs and then became overjoyed when my first ribs came out EXACTLY the way I like them.

I guess to each his own but now when watching, kinda disappointed.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big Steve
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Part Time BBQ
KCBS 77033

Post by Big Steve » December 7th, 2014, 1:19 pm

At a comp we turned in brisket that we were really proud of. It had a nice peppery flavor which we loved and the friends who were hovering around the table also thought was the best brisket they'd ever tasted. I now temper statements like that realizing they're eat free BBQ and will say about anything to get more. We exchanged samples with other teams and honestly we didn't like their flavor profile but the judges scored us dead last in Brisket. At the next comp we used a popular commercial brisket injection, a combo of two rubs and a popular sauce. We took 29th out of 100 teams that day and we were using a choice brisket compared to the primes and wagyu briskets the top teams used. Both briskets were good and we were happy with the results but the less peppery, more middle of the road, brisket scored higher.
My wife and family love the competition style ribs so when cooking at home I do a 3-2-1 style rib with all the wrapping stuff you see the BBQ Pitmasters use. Sweet pork ribs are always well received. The only difference is my wife like the ribs when they fall off the bone, which is usually how they turn out at home cause the 3-2-1 method is a beast to master.
In the end good bbq is just that. I will say I use more sauce at home than I do at comps.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm

I can't read things like this without feeling like I gotta have ribs in a few minutes.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 7th, 2014, 4:03 pm

I just need to warm some up. I guess that is just mean, or some sort of "Q" foul. lol

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » December 8th, 2014, 8:49 am

I honestly wish that the shows would award creativity over generality. I wish competitions would be about who made the meat that blew your socks off because you've never tasted better BBQ instead of "oh this could be served at McDonalds" stuff that anyone could feasibly make with little to know experience. To me cooking Q is an art form...its not a job.

I like doing Shriner competition judging because their criteria is less formal and its more about the best you can eat. I plan on doing comps when my smoker is completed, but maybe I'll spend more time on the 'beer' circuit than bigger comps.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 8th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Ok wes, were set man. We just need to find 2 others to do the comp cooks and we will monitor the beers. I'm all in. This year I have to back way off on comp cooks myself due to house finances. But I'll sure go hang out at a few. If I still have the trailer you are welcome to hang out and sleep in the ac.

Now Listen.....Thats what I say.
One of these days I want to learn to weld real good
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » December 9th, 2014, 7:34 am

LMAO, no problem. WMD ( Wes, Michelle, Dave) already has two people to work...my wife and pops. My wife drinks wine, so if we focus on pork instead we can drink beers whilst they keep temps steady and get boxes ready...LMAO!!

I do think that there should be comps that focus on creativity. IDK who turned in the peanut butter glazed ribs (puff?), but I wanna try em! I think that would be outstanding...yet they scored poorly in a comp. If it tastes good, and it looks good, and it feels right...by god thats good Q IMO.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 9th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Sounds like something PD would turn in. He gets side tracked easily at comps, and sometimes just wings it! :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 9th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Oh look!! A squirrel.

Now Listen.....Thats what I say.
One of these days I want to learn to weld real good
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party

Return to “Competition BBQ Corner”