Build a Gun Safe

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
Sand Hiller
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Farm Shop Engineer

Build a Gun Safe

Post by Sand Hiller » August 24th, 2016, 8:53 am

As I was sitting in student orientation for our son's HS Welding and Fab class all I could think about were potential projects. I stopped dreaming at the potential of a "mini" build. I figured it would give him experience working with different thicknesses and positions and with plans available where could we go wrong! Bad news is there is a "No Smoker" policy. Must've been a train wreck somewhere in the past! It's a young teacher so this may have preceded him. Who knows.....maybe worth visiting with him.
This brings us to the second choice a gun safe. For all means and purposes, as far as the school is concerned (gotta be PC!) (I'll follow the rules save that conversation for another day!), it will just be a fireproof box to keep valuables in. It'll just be big! Have any of you built one before? From what I can see alot of the same thought process of a gravity feed insulated box can be implemented into it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time--LT

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: Build a Gun Safe

Post by Tom_Heath » August 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm

I say build a gun safe or what ever you want to call it with a reverse flow moisture removal air flow path. Again call it what you want. Then when it's home toss in a fire basket and roll smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 24th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Either way, a safe is cool. Can't cook in it,but it's cool.

Call up a local locksmith or maybe a safe builder to see if they will sell you just the locking mechanism. Maybe even mood for a junky rusted safe...all you need is the tumbler internals. From there, you could fab up or customize to fit your design.

Good luck.

Sand Hiller
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Farm Shop Engineer

Post by Sand Hiller » August 25th, 2016, 7:43 am

I've been thinking along your lines Tom. Might be a little backwards but how hard would it be to put the gravity flow "stuff" on after the fact?
Great idea DT.
I bet somewhere in a parallel universe there's a forum.....Sorry my mind wandered for a moment!

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time--LT

ElroyH

Post by ElroyH » September 2nd, 2016, 10:21 pm

You could get in touch with a good locksmith to have a proper locking mechanism. But digital locks would be safer and you could change your password when the need arises. All safes must have fire protection and water protection. Size is very important whenever you are looking for a safe. You could determine the size by measuring the space in which you would like to place it.

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”