builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Instructional posts about How to use the Forums. Feel free to ask questions here also.
memphisguynflagstaff

builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Post by memphisguynflagstaff » July 10th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Hey Guys,
I live in beatiful Flagstaff Az, we have an abundance of lava rock and river stone and was thinking that I should be able to build a smoker out of these materials along with concrete and some metal.
As a child in the seventies my grandfather lived in the ozarks in Hardy Arkansas and had a smoker built out of 50 gallon drums that he would rock in to stabilize the heat. Although he taught me secrets about bbqing that have have never heard of since and thats saying alot being that grew up in Memphis. He would cook rabbit, chicken, goat, pig all at the same time while drinking home made Muscadine Wine. That hilbilly cooked the best Q I have ever put in my mouth (again I did grow up in Memphis) boy i miss him!
Thinking building a smoker would be easy was nothing but my ignorance. If any one could give my advice and plans I would be willing to give my family secret as long as it stays a secret.

Never really understood how good Memphis Q is untill I traveled west. BBQ Beef....give me a break......lol........all in good fun!

If this could be in a better forum please help me out.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Re: builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Post by Pennywise » July 14th, 2015, 12:11 pm

I have no idea how you would do this, but I want you to succeed so I can see it. Good luck brohams.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » July 14th, 2015, 3:09 pm

I'd like to see this happen also.... Don't just fade away, keep updating!

Never knew that lava rock was so prevalent in Arizona.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

boone0

Post by boone0 » July 16th, 2015, 7:33 pm

First post here because I lurk and don't have much to add...

If by "river stone" you mean pieces of rock that literally have been sitting on rivers/shores, be careful exposing them to heat. Rocks are porous and in a river, they will absorb water. Heat them up and the water expads and they can explode. Being stupid I have thrown them in the fire and it does happen.

Not sure how long it would take to dry them out. Good luck with your build!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » July 18th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Shrapnel ? What a thought! As I move thru this pizza/bread oven process, I see why refractory cement is a nice way to go but not really cheap.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Forum How To's”