Pipe steel vs. rolled

Tell us a little about yourself!
bigpappa1

Pipe steel vs. rolled

Post by bigpappa1 » June 20th, 2019, 7:05 am

Does anyone have any knowledge of a difference or pros/cons of pipe steel vs. rolled for a smoker? I have been looking for pipe just because it seems to be really straight-forward, no rolling needed. At the same time, is there any benefit to rolling a sheet instead of buying a formed pipe?

Also, does anyone see any difference in square firebox vs. round? For some reason I find myself partial to the square boxes, but I don't know if there's really any difference.

Thanks!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Pipe steel vs. rolled

Post by Big T » June 20th, 2019, 6:04 pm

The main thing that comes to mind, pipe vs rolled is that the rolled will be rust/coating free and ready to build. The pipe sometimes can be spiral rolled and it twists and warps out of shape when you cut it. I have heard that some pipe that's made from carbon steel can have some magnetic properties which make welding it very difficult. I have used plenty of pipe and never ran across any of this but it's always a possibility. The round vs square FB is up to you, there's no difference in performance when they are properly sized. The square FB is a little more work to build but it's a lot easier to build intakes, door, ash pan and fire basket.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Pipe steel vs. rolled

Post by Dirtytires » June 21st, 2019, 9:45 am

I wouldn’t see any problems with either. It really comes down to what size you want and what is available in your area. Assuming you roll a standard 4x8 sheet, you would be restricted to a 15 inch dia if you wanted your cook chamber longer than 48 inches. It could reach 30 inch diameter if you rolled the short way but your legnth is restricted to 48 inches or shorter. With that said, some machines need a few inches on each end of the press so diameter could be further reduced. Bottom line is that I would call the shop to see what restrictions their machine has on size and thickness and it might become quickly evident that pipe is a cheaper and easier route.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”