Tell us a little about yourself!
wBuddy
beginner
beginner

Hello from Indonesia, Planning to make my own Smoker

Post by wBuddy » October 19th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Hi folks, im Buddy from Indonesia,

i love american barbecue and i am very interested to try on my own to smoke one
im thinking of an standard offset smoker that i will construct with metal plates leftover laying around, i have some sketch as shown in the images, i made a slope on the bottom of the cook chamber.

im just wondering if it will help the cookchamber maintain temperaature. because if i just make it rectangular some said there will be heat trapped in the corner. so would very much appreciate your input / critics on the smoker drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hello from Indonesia, Planning to make my own Smoker

Post by Big T » October 20th, 2018, 12:10 am

Welcome aboard!! I don't think you'll need a sloped bottom in the cook chamber. Heat rises so it isn't going to get trapped in the bottom of the cooker and the stack will be drawing air out. The slope will also send all of the grease down to your grease dam at the throat, if it flows into the fire box it'll be a catastrophe.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 20th, 2018, 1:47 am

Agreed...heat rises naturally. Mine has a flat bottom and works flawlessly. Actually think the sloped bottom might increase the airflow to the point that no heat is transferred up to your meat and is instead just pushed out the smokestack.

Welcome to the group!

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 20th, 2018, 3:49 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

wBuddy
beginner
beginner

Post by wBuddy » October 20th, 2018, 3:53 am

Big T wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 12:10 am
Welcome aboard!! I don't think you'll need a sloped bottom in the cook chamber. Heat rises so it isn't going to get trapped in the bottom of the cooker and the stack will be drawing air out. The slope will also send all of the grease down to your grease dam at the throat, if it flows into the fire box it'll be a catastrophe.
thanks Big T. i see, i will make a standard rectangular then. but with a rectangular shape do you prefer it to be a horizontal or vertical offset smoker?

wBuddy
beginner
beginner

Post by wBuddy » October 20th, 2018, 3:59 am

Dirtytires wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 1:47 am
Agreed...heat rises naturally. Mine has a flat bottom and works flawlessly. Actually think the sloped bottom might increase the airflow to the point that no heat is transferred up to your meat and is instead just pushed out the smokestack.

Welcome to the group!
thanks Dirtytires.
airflow can be controlled though, but i see your point. the slope doesnt bring the right improvement for cooking.
with the shape rectangular do you prefer it to be horizontal or vertical offset?

ive read that brisket cooked on horizontal offset smoker is better than vertical because of the smoke flow. is this true ?

wBuddy
beginner
beginner

Post by wBuddy » October 20th, 2018, 3:59 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 3:49 am
Welcome
thanks Pete

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 20th, 2018, 10:12 am

Welcome to the crew!

I personally have both on my trailer rig but my horizontal is pipe not rectangular. And it’s Reverse Flow not traditional offset. As for brisket I use both chambers not at all do I think horizontal is better. I tend to get more heat radiating from the Reverse Flow plate which sorta cooks a little hotter. But I can put more in my vertical and it cooks just with ambient temperature of the chamber.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Introduce yourself!”