Noob Builder wanting a RF vertical

Tell us a little about yourself!
Bice2012

Noob Builder wanting a RF vertical

Post by Bice2012 » August 2nd, 2018, 9:37 am

Howdy from Nodak! New here, I've been smoking meet for family events and occasionally just for a few weeks of food or BACON! I have a tiny direct heat vertical that was my grandfather's. It's nothing special but I've made some damn good food on it it's just not big enough anymore and I want to get more seriouse I've wanted to build a smoker for about 3 years now and got my hands on an 80 gallon air tank free from work. I have used a few RF horizontal offsets and dont mind them I just like the vertical. I'm looking for opinions thoughts ideas on this. I thought about taking the basic math of a RF horizontal and just turning it vertical ofcourse we will have plenty of insulation between firebox and CC just enough room for a few briskets or turkeys, hang a few racks of ribs or smoke some bacon and sausage. I would like charcoal or woodfired should I go vertical? Why or why not? I've read a lot about the Vertical RF working well when set up right! Thanks.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Noob Builder wanting a RF vertical

Post by Dirtytires » August 2nd, 2018, 11:56 am

The problem with a vertical tank is you really don't have much rack space....and they have to bee even smaller if you want them to slide out. It seems like you want a larger smoker but making a vertical from a smaller tank will not be as big as you think. I'm afraid you could put all the work into it only to be disappointed.

Also, I would not think the reverse flow concept would work all that well. With such a short run on the baffle plate it would be more like a traditional offset.

But can it be done? Definitely.

AndrewPalmer71
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » August 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Bice2012 wrote:Howdy from Nodak! New here, I've been smoking meet for family events and occasionally just for a few weeks of food or BACON! I have a tiny direct heat vertical that was my grandfather's. It's nothing special but I've made some damn good food on it it's just not big enough anymore and I want to get more seriouse I've wanted to build a smoker for about 3 years now and got my hands on an 80 gallon air tank free from work. I have used a few RF horizontal offsets and dont mind them I just like the vertical. I'm looking for opinions thoughts ideas on this. I thought about taking the basic math of a RF horizontal and just turning it vertical ofcourse we will have plenty of insulation between firebox and CC just enough room for a few briskets or turkeys, hang a few racks of ribs or smoke some bacon and sausage. I would like charcoal or woodfired should I go vertical? Why or why not? I've read a lot about the Vertical RF working well when set up right! Thanks.
Interesting idea bro. It can definitely be done. The calculations may differ slightly from a RF as far as Firebox size is concerned. Most verticals can operate on a slightly undersized Firebox. Your idea is accurate concerning a baffle plate, but it'd be more like a small deflector to help disperse the heat around the cook chamber. You can always frame the doors of your vertical to give you a little more space. I have always been intrigued by the idea of hanging and smoking meet in a vertical smoker, so I am looking forward to the build! Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bice2012

Post by Bice2012 » August 2nd, 2018, 1:18 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 11:56 am
The problem with a vertical tank is you really don't have much rack space....and they have to bee even smaller if you want them to slide out. It seems like you want a larger smoker but making a vertical from a smaller tank will not be as big as you think. I'm afraid you could put all the work into it only to be disappointed.

Also, I would not think the reverse flow concept would work all that well. With such a short run on the baffle plate it would be more like a traditional offset.

But can it be done? Definitely.
I hear you on the rack space, I'm thinking about cutting a door that would work whether I go verticle or horizontal, (so it'll be a double door either way really) that way if I'm not liking my rack space I can lay it over and continue as a horizontal. Tank size I'm 24x46 or so the baffle to make it a reverse flow I would half it and run on both sides of the chamber. However to retain the whole tank I may build my FB out of some sheet I have or another tank. I thought itd be neat to make it look like an old bomb standing upright haha. Conversation piece anyhow. But we will see that's what I'm here for is thoughts and ideas.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 2nd, 2018, 7:40 pm

Welcome aboard.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 2nd, 2018, 11:26 pm

I think we could all benefit from a sketch of your idea.

Bice2012

Post by Bice2012 » August 3rd, 2018, 9:13 pm

15333487163197597764624381437211.jpg
so the firebox being down below with a half moon duct running up each side of the proper sq ft till so far from the top. And the stack being at the bottom. Basically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 3rd, 2018, 9:51 pm

Interesting concept. I’ve seen a vertical cabinet but most just have a single opening at the bottom of the cook chamber. Not sure how the vertical ducts would work...they appear to be counterproductive by keeping the smoke away from the meat. Maybe I’m not understanding.

Would also incorporate a damper between the firebox and cc and a shadow plate above the opening. With the radiant heat, you are not going to need much fire.

Bice2012

Post by Bice2012 » August 3rd, 2018, 11:04 pm

So the verticle duct is going to let smoke and heat all the way to the top, but the stack is at the bottom. So it kindof has to cool off and exit, but set up right I'm hoping it'll draft on it's own, but the lower portion will also have the radiant heat of the FB so we shouldnt see a huge temp variable from top to bottom. Explain what you mean by damper and shadowbox exactly? I think I know but I'm a visual person. I'm interested in your ideas though.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 3rd, 2018, 11:08 pm

That's the typical design for a vertical RF, it'll work fine if it's done right. If you plan on burning wood, you'll probably need a thick baffle above the FB or a water pan for a heat sink. It'll probably be easier to control if you use charcoal and wood chunks but you'll have to make sure that it's air tight so that you can control the burn. A lot of guys don't think that there is really any benefit to RF on a vertical so it isn't worth the extra materials and work. I have never built a vertical RF so I can't say for sure but I have built a few standard verticals and they seemed to work just fine. There was a build thread from not too long ago where a guy built a vertical RF from an old jobox. I'll try to remember where it's at and post a link for you, lots of pictures and info in the thread.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 4th, 2018, 10:02 pm

If you are doing the ducts, forget my shadow plate idea. I was indicating using if you went with a single bottom opening. Bigt suggested a heat sink on the bottom to minimize radiant heat....good idea.

A damper simply allow you to regulate the amount of air passing thru the ducts. May not really be necessary but I love control.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”