New member. First smoker build getting close

Tell us a little about yourself!
casey3115
beginner
beginner

New member. First smoker build getting close

Post by casey3115 » July 19th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Hi all.
New member, been lurking for a while now. I moved to Oregon a few years ago from Texas and am really wishing I had all the local builders building great smokers that I had when I lived down there. I have been shopping for an offset for a while now and really having a problem with the $500 shipping I will pay and I also do not like buying sight unseen. I originally thought I would not build the smoker just because I have so much going on right now. Way too many projects but I am warming up to the idea. So I started working on a design a few days ago and thought it would be a good time to start getting input from the community here and finalizing my design so I can get some drawings sent out and get the parts quoted.

This is what I am thinking. I want to build a top down style offset. With my job and the equipment I have available to me building a smoker out of formed sheet goods will be easier than starting with a 24" pipe. For this type of smoker I am really digging the shape of the new 20" LSG offsets. I will add some photos and ask TOO many questions here shortly.

Thanks all and I look forward to developing this with everyone's input.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: New member. First smoker build getting close

Post by Big T » July 19th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Welcome aboard!! Sounds like it'll be a great build.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 19th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Here is a couple images. I used the Feldon calculator online when I first started this design.

Cooking Chamber size 16,500 cu in
Fire box size 5,832 cu in, 105% of recommended
Recommended fire box to CC opening 46.66 sq in.
4 x 4 sq tube chimney. Recommended length 18.23 in.

Some things I am still wondering about..

How high relative to the lower cooking grate should I have have the FB to CC opening? I have a baffle designed to direct heat straight up upon entering the cooking chamber. How does that look?
How low should I mount the chimney exit?

A few days ago I had a reverse offset baffle in this model and also had the chimney on the other side (of course) and have just recently started working with this new idea so I am thinking I also do not need quite as much space below the bottom grate now?? Should I lower that grate to gain a bit more clearance on each of the grates?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. I want to get the main shape and dimensions, clearences all cleared up and then I can start looking at details, hinges, latches, vents, etc...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by casey3115 on July 19th, 2018, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 19th, 2018, 9:46 pm

It might help to know my intentions with this smoker as well.
My typical smokes are for anywhere between 6 and 12 people. We smoke food every other weekend or so. Typical to have about 3 racks of ribs and a bunch of chicken wings and stuffed peppers. Or do a pork shoulder and a bunch of stuffed peppers. Pastrami or brisket are also popular choices. A few chickens or a turkey. You get the idea...no huge cooks really. (I would like to cook a suckling pig some day though :) )
When I was shopping for a smoker I was pretty set on buying a LSG 20 x 36. I don't need anything huge and think it will just be a waste if I go too big as sometimes we smoke just a single beer can chicken or other small meals for my family of 3. Also I really need to be able to move it around easily on a gravel driveway on the side of my house and also probably through the grass to the back yard patio.

When I started entertaining building my own I decided I could stretch it to 42" long as the material cost difference will be minimal.

Here are some dims of how everything is currently laid out.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 19th, 2018, 9:55 pm

That's an interesting design for sure, I don't have any experience with this style cooker so I can't be of much help. I've seen a few of these on the forum through the years that guys had built, they were having some sort of issues and trying to figure out where they went wrong. I would try to get a more detailed drawing with some measurements of what you have in mind and let some of the guys take a look at it. I know that Frank and Tom are both very knowledgeable with this style cooker so they could probably get you headed in the right direction.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 19th, 2018, 10:03 pm

A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by casey3115 on July 19th, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 19th, 2018, 10:24 pm

I was reading a thread (on a different forum) about a guys Jambo back yard model recently and it got me thinking about switching from the reverse flow I had planned. He had some photos of the inside and was really pleased with how it performed. I'm not married to the idea yet,. It's still early.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 20th, 2018, 7:52 am

Welcome to the crew!

That is a really different type of smoker. I was thinking of what you said in the beginning about various numbers of people you are cooking for and thought, you should make an offset with a WC over the FB. Because you can use it many different ways. As for the design you had drawn I have no experience with but I hope it works out.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 20th, 2018, 11:39 am

I think I should move this over to the design section of the forum to get a bit more exposure. Hopefully someone has some input with this type of design. If not I can always call an audible and go back to a reverse flow style.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 20th, 2018, 2:11 pm

We don’t call audibles here....we smoke meat.

🐷🐮🐔

Lol

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 20th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Dirtytires wrote:We don’t call audibles here....we smoke meat.

ImageImageImage

Lol
True story. Thankfully my current plan and the audible I have in my back pocket both involve smoking meat! A suckling pig I hope.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » July 24th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Welcome to the group! May I ask which software are you using to make the plans?

casey3115
beginner
beginner

Post by casey3115 » July 24th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Newsmoke wrote:Welcome to the group! May I ask which software are you using to make the plans?
I use solidworks.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”