Howdy from the Texan in Alaska

Tell us a little about yourself!
Clhman
beginner
beginner

Howdy from the Texan in Alaska

Post by Clhman » June 25th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I moved to Alaska 12 years ago and missed BBQ all the time. We have one restaurant, but it's expensive and not necessarily that great. Two summers ago I decided to take things into my own hands. I bought an Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker from Lowe's and thought I'd have a good start. From the very first time I used it, I realized it was very cheap and deficient in many ways. It leaks so bad, I'm surprised that any smoke actually makes it to the meat. It also can't hold temperature for anything. Even with this disappointment, I've actually made some incredible meat and got addicted. I got used to adjusting temperature every 20-30 minutes for a 13 hour brisket cook. I've pulled briskets off that could have been entered in competitions. (Might not have won, but certainly wouldn't have been laughed off the stage!) Anyways, from day one I have been planning a build. I've been actively looking for propane tanks for maybe a year. I finally scored 2 different tanks for free. One is a 100# tank that is 14x42" and the other is a water tank out of an old mobile home that is 24x64". I have lurked here for some time, but as of last night I have a plan. I'd love any feedback anyone can offer. I used the calculator to verify my dimensions. I have a great welder, torch, basic tools and a healthy dose of stubbornness.

Here is my plan. I'll start a build thread once I tear into it.

RF
Use the water tank and cut it down to CC 24x48"
FB 20x20 square - insulated as I'm in AK (need help here)
Intake 2x10"
Exhaust 4" (but I don't understand how tall my stack has to be?)

I plan on building it on a trailer so I can tow it around the yard with our Polaris Ranger. I'm thinking pneumatic tires with leaf springs and a pintle hitch.

If anything sounds horribly wrong here, let me know. I'm going to start gathering parts over the next couple of weeks and realistically build it by the end of July.

(I've documented most of my major cooks on Instagram under the same username if anyone is interested.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Howdy from the Texan in Alaska

Post by Big T » June 25th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Welcome aboard!! Is your big tank galvanized or painted ? If it isn't galvanized I would cut it open and see what you have to work with. Some water tanks can have scale build up on the walls that make them almost unusable.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 25th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Small tank a bit small for a smoker but usable. Think you will outgrow it after the second cook tho...

Clhman
beginner
beginner

Post by Clhman » June 26th, 2018, 1:11 am

Big T wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 6:04 pm
Welcome aboard!! Is your big tank galvanized or painted ? If it isn't galvanized I would cut it open and see what you have to work with. Some water tanks can have scale build up on the walls that make them almost unusable.
It is galvanized. I was wondering how to proceed. Do I do anything different now? I was planning on sanding down smooth on the outside to paint it, but does it need any other special treatment?

Clhman
beginner
beginner

Post by Clhman » June 26th, 2018, 1:12 am

Dirtytires wrote:
June 25th, 2018, 10:11 pm
Small tank a bit small for a smoker but usable. Think you will outgrow it after the second cook tho...
I was kind of thinking that...

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 26th, 2018, 5:20 am

Welcome. Chimney 4 x 31.85 according to the calculator

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Big T

Post by Big T » June 26th, 2018, 9:22 pm

There has been a lot of discussion about whether galvanized steel is safe to use for a cooking vessel. Some claim that it doesn't get any where close to the temperature required to off gas and some say that it wouldn't be toxic if it did. I personally don't use any galvanized materials on my builds just to be on the safe side of things, not to mention that it doesn't mig weld very well unless you clean of the area to be welded. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear since it took so long to find a tank but I would try to find something more suitable, however this is just my opinion.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 26th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Ditto....besides the safety concern, I absolutely hate welding galvanized.

Clhman
beginner
beginner

Post by Clhman » June 27th, 2018, 12:54 am

Hmm, bummer. That’s what I was wondering. Not sure what my next step will be. Thanks for the feedback.

Clhman
beginner
beginner

Post by Clhman » June 27th, 2018, 1:04 am

Stupid question, but is it galvanized inside also?

Big T

Post by Big T » June 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm

It probably is lined with something but I'm not sure what. I know a lot of water heaters are glass lined and most well tanks have some type of bladder.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”