Hello from Michigan it's great to be here!!

Tell us a little about yourself!
MarkMac
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Hello from Michigan it's great to be here!!

Post by MarkMac » May 14th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Good evening everyone!
My name is Mark and i recently started on a reverse flow smoker for myself and my son. i have been reading lots of threads on all different topics here and I got even more hooked then i already was! So i had to join. It started when i got a shipping quote of $600 just to get a southern manufactured RF shipped to my home, let alone the price to buy it. So i decided to use the welding experience i do have and learn some more along the way to make my own smoker with lots of your help I'm sure!!! i hope to build it in about a year's time. I really would like to have it completed by march 2019. At least that's my goal...https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/postin ... =post&f=48#
Here is my basic plan. 24" diameter .375" pipe for the CC, FB, and vertical warming chamber. I also planned on .375" plate for the caps on each section and BP. CC will be 60" long and the warming chamber will be about 30" vertical above the firebox. I plan to have baffles allowing the warming chamber to be a stand alone cooking chamber as well separating it from the primary horizontal CC. My firebox is going to be somewhere around 24-30" long. I'm a little unsure how to figure it with two separate chambers. when i run the calculator at 24" on the FB and 60" on the CC i get 120% but when i figure it with 24" FB and 90" of CC I'm only 80%. truthfully i don't know how often i will be running both chambers but i also don't want to over heat the main CC and i really don't want to under size the FB. I would love to get this sorta kinda mostly almost right. ( is that possible??)
I planned on a single rectangle air inlet on the door end of the FB.
I would like you input as to my chimney size / configuration. I'm thinking I should go with 6" pipe but i have some 3" and 4" already at the house i salvaged. could i use 2- 3" or 4" pipes on the main CC? If i can, how do i figure the length?
I know on the vertical chamber its not as crucial about length but what about diameter for the chimney? would it affect performance if I used the same 1 or 2 pieces of 3" or 4"?
I'm stuck as to whether my cooker will be on a trailer axle or a 4 wheel wagon/cart. i know it will be some where around 1500-1800 LBS. i can get a 2000LB axle from a friend of mine for I believe $100. i would need to get wheels but that's easy enough. if i did the wagon i was thinking of using trailer hubs with golf cart wheels so it would pull easier. Any thoughts and expertise in your opinions is accepted on this one!!
hopefully i covered most of the information... looking forward to all of your comments and im looking forward to spending time reading more and learning more from all of you.

Uncertainty is greater than normal, so revisions should be expected...

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hello from Michigan it's great to be here!!

Post by Big T » May 14th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Welcome aboard!! The FB should be 115% max on the recommended size. You only need to figure in the length of the CC, the WC doesn't require the FB to be any larger. The chimney size is up to you, the larger the diameter the shorter the stack. I like the stack to be tall enough to keep the smoke out of my eyes but not too tall to get through the garage door. If you wanted to use twin stacks you just use 2 stacks half the length of the recommended length. If you are wanting to put it on a trailer, I would recommend using a 3500 lb axle. These jokers get heavy in a hurry, especially if you start adding a wood basket, shelves and other cool things. I've seen cookers this size mounted on carts but I'm not sure that I would want to be moving it around very much.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Hello from Michigan it's great to be here

Post by Dirtytires » May 14th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Sounds like bigT got you answered. Would agree that is a big backyard smoker....how big of a group do you normally cook for? You can easily cook for 100+ with that size. If a trailer mounted rig seems like too much hasle, maybe comsider downsizing just a bit to make it more portable at the house. Mine weighs 1200# and is a bear to move around the patio just to give you comparison.

Welcome to the crew...we look forward to your build. Glad you put a reasonable time frame on it.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 14th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Welcome to the crew.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 15th, 2018, 4:14 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 20th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Welcome to the crew!

Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Introduce yourself!”