Rebuild time in Alabama

Tell us a little about yourself!
Gary_G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Rebuild time in Alabama

Postby Gary_G » November 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Hey y'all. Just signed up to this forum since I have a vertical cabinet that needs a new firebox.

I documented the build on another forum that appears to have gone away, all my posts there are gone, but see below.

Give me a shout if any of this looks or sounds familiar .

Learned to smoke brisket in TX in the mid 90's using a Brinkman barrel.... had a couple of smokers like that and eventually built a propane water tank smoker that would hold a couple of briskets ( it had a wood chunk tray to make real smoke ).

Then I got a doublewide industrial refrigerator for free, and decided to build am insulated cabinet. (It was called the Fridge on another forum) I built my cabinet about 8 years ago and this weekend I finally burned through the lightweight firebox that I made from 1/8 plate.

I knew it would be just a matter of time on the firebox once I started pulling out some huge "rust flakes" on cleanouts of the ash pan about 4 seasons ago.

The area just above the grate and the transfer tube gets really hot, expecially on extended duration cabinet-full cooks, where I have seen the transfer tube up to 1,200 degrees when force fed using a couple of 2" computer fans.

My cabinet is based on a recycled double wide refrigerator interior (all stainless) with angle iron frame, 2" rockwool insulation and skinned with aluminum. It has 8 racks, 2 foot square for 32 sq ft of cooking area. It uses 20-30 lbs of charcoal a cook depending on how much cold meat I put in there.

So over the years, I have done a few really large cooks 195-200 lbs to feed the masses at music events, catered a wedding and made new friends along the way to help buy meat for co-op cooking.

I did a few cooks in snowstorms in NY and now live in AL where most everyone is smoking butts and ribs. (I prefer TX style brisket)

I have also built a couple of temp controllers, an Arduino based one with 8 meat probes (the Megamometer) and a Raspberry Pi based Heatermeter (wifi) to run my cabinet. Also made a cycle timer based PID system to feed pellets on the water heater based smoker like 10 yrs ago, so I like to tinker.

Anyways, thanks for everyone sharing you experience on making (and improving) the best BBQ smokers out there.

HeaterMeter BBQ Control(2).pdf
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards,
Gary

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Rebuild time in Alabama

Postby Big T » November 14th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Welcome aboard!! I'm in lower Alabama myself, near Mobile. What part of the state are you in ? It looks like an interesting build.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Postby Pete Mazz » November 15th, 2017, 5:31 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Postby Rodcrafter » November 15th, 2017, 8:14 am

Welcome to the crew!

:welcome:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gary_G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: RE: Re: Rebuild time in Alabama

Postby Gary_G » November 15th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Big T wrote:Welcome aboard!! I'm in lower Alabama myself, near Mobile. What part of the state are you in ? It looks like an interesting build.
Hey Big T, I am about 30 mi East of BHM... a small town called Pell City. I took the family to Gulf Shores earlier this summer and would like to make a trip to the gulf a regular thing. Its about 3-4 hour ride and we really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Regards,
Gary

Return to “Introduce yourself!”