Ideas of Starters in a smoker?

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Ideas of Starters in a smoker?

Post by Newsmoke » November 18th, 2019, 12:36 am

Dear All,

I'm wondering what kind of starter do you cook for family or events when you are smoking?
Are you doing mostly salads (potatoes, macaroni)?

Thanks a lot for your insight!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Ideas of Starters in a smoker?

Post by towtruck » November 18th, 2019, 2:00 am

Tater salad with chicken is a given. Mashed taters and gravy with roasts. Green salad with steak. Macaroni salad goes well with most beef. Corn on the cob goes well with ribs as both require your hands to eat.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm

When you ask what “starter” we use during a cook, are you meaning an appetizer or munchie before the meal?

You mentioned macaroni/potato salad but —- not to be picky—- I would call them side dishes that are served WITH the meal.

Not trying to be difficult here, I know different parts of the country/world refer to things differently. I’m sure we can come up with a ton of suggestions but maybe give us a little more clarification of what you are looking for.

Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Newsmoke » November 21st, 2019, 10:32 am

Thanks tow truck and dirtytires! I get it. By starter in meant what kind of cold dish do you cook and eat before the main dish which in France would be the brisket with red beans etc

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 22nd, 2019, 12:59 am

If it has to be cold, I typically do a vegetable and/or fruit platter. A cheese and cracker plates go well with either. Shrimp cocktail is always a hit as well. We do a lot of tortilla chips with salsa as it’s hard to find anything to go better with a margarita.

Does it need to be cold? Smoked sausage can be sliced and put on the cheese platter. Smoked bacon wrapped tator tots never last long and I’ve been know to put out smoked chicken wings or slice up a rack of ribs and let everyone pick at them.

Just have fun!

Return to “FOOD!”