Smoke flavor on Rev Flow vs GF smoker

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Smoke flavor on Rev Flow vs GF smoker

Post by LeonardK » May 24th, 2019, 6:27 am

Some things can be measured, like heat of the pepper
Scoville-Scale-Chili-Peppers-List-Hottest-to-Mildest.jpg

But I don't know of any reference for smoke flavor

Seems it's very subjective to convey, I know I like it strong but not bitter... only time got it bitter was a roast put in friends smoker long time ago, for 15-20 minutes then into crockpot for a few hours

At one extreme, here's my 1st brisket cooked on someone elses pit who did not like smoke flavor and so this is a ZERO for flavor and smoke ( cooked over a pit about 16 inches from fire ) just pulled out this bag from freezer, last bag of smoked meat, but I did see how to cook with the meat probe and method: 225 till internal temp is 160 then foil n cook till 200 degrees internal is reached.

1st brisket cook flavor-less 2 no color adj.jpg
A real zero for flavor, only like to eat this with some kind of BBQ sauce

The other extreme, MY 1st smoke, accidentally cooked at 125 degrees for 5 hrs (thought it was cooking at 225 deg) had to push fire hotter, didn't know the tray was 100 deg colder than where the thermometer was, did reach 160 deg internal, foiled and cooked till 200 deg internal probably tray temp on my Reverse Flow smoker was about 250 max cooked about 9 hours
Reverse Flow Smoker 16x36 Done .jpg
to be fair, meat straight from the freezer

Some of this I smoked with good flavor straight from the freezer bag lots of smoke ring.jpg

More of the same cooked on my 16x36 reverse flow smoker covered with pulverized serrano blended with burbon and salted starting cook and all the fat removed, splashed burbon all over again when foiling and cooked with a mix of charcoal OR lump AND mesquite wood

16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 2 (1).jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 2a (1).jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 3 (1).jpg

I have heard the right way to smoke with the Stumps Gravity Feed is put charcoal or lump in the chute, and to enhance smoke flavor, put wood under the burn grate, in the ash tray

Now I have heard that others who like the GF and smoke flavor MORE, put small wood chunks inside the chute, and that's where you get the most smoke flavor with the Stumps GF or Mini Clone

Bag of Hickory from HEB compared to charcoal.jpg

And I found some interesting kinds of woods at HEB and Walmart cut in smaller pieces too.

I said all this carefully, already acknowledging the standard way to load and cook with the GF,

to ask:

Can I get the same amount of smoke flavor with the GF as I get with My Reverse Flow smoker???

Leonard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Smoke flavor on Rev Flow vs GF smoker

Post by mp4 » May 25th, 2019, 4:08 am

LeonardK wrote:
Can I get the same amount of smoke flavor with the GF as I get with My Reverse Flow smoker???

Leonard
Hi Leonard -

More things go into the smoke flavor than just the smoker design. IMHO - a stick burner like your reverse flow has the potential to give the best smoke flavor because it's burning wood in it's most basic form (and a lot of it compared to gravity feeds/uds using charcoal). The meat benefits from the wood transforming from wood to charcoal during the burn process. When charcoal is processed you loose the flavor profile given off when wood converts to charcoal and therefore its not getting to your meat. You get some of that back by supplimenting charcoal with chips/chunks, but ultimately it's not the same.

Wood type also plays a significant factor in smoke flavor. Apple is mild - mesquite is strong and oak is somewhere in between.

Good luck!

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by LeonardK » May 26th, 2019, 4:49 am

Hello mp4

So glad you answered and I wish some MORE of you WOULD in spite of OLD pictures, The QUESTION is NEW

BUT here are some some NEW pictures, HEB has a super sale on Kingsford 14# bags, 2 for $10.... it's supposed to burn longer and hotter, I use mix of charcoal or lump and mesquite

Today, new pictures......... new "Q View" HEB baby back ribs $2.49/#, Staples Street Meat Market $4.77/# and HEB pork spare ribs

Following thru same pattern pulverized Jalapeno pepper with Ezra Brooks burbon, but marinated about 24 hours this time

Since it is SO MUCH of an investment building a gravity feed smoker.... $1200 materials or more VS $700 on the reverse flow, I really hoped to hear from yall forum members that OWN and USE GFs!!!

I am planning on building a Gravity Feed Stumps Clone smoker AND putting wood in the chute mixed with lump or charcoal to GET the SAME smoke flavor as WITH a REVERSE FlOW SMOKER.... will the outcome be weak and poor... lackluster... mediocre or Good strong smoke flavor??? I was even thinking of making special GF furnace little bigger to accomodate wood, like 7.5 x 9.5 x 2.5 for bigger wood chunks and using more half inch plate all around

But in your regular GFs, put wood in chute, can you get smoke flavor that I get in the Rev Flow?

Some others of you also put wood in the chute of your Gravity Feed smokers for MORE SMOKE FLAVOR .... LET ME KNOW HOW GOOD IT WORKS ..... HERE because this is what I'm looking for and hoping for in a GF, it has 3x the rack space 9 sq feet VS 3.2 sq feet in the 16x36 rev flo I'm using tonight

Seems the Kingsford burns longer than others ... HEB charcoal and Royal Oak lump ... found a nail in theirs ... what's that, lumber?????????

HEB pork baby back ribs 1.jpg
HEB pork baby back ribs 2.jpg
HEB pork baby back ribs 3.jpg
HEB pork baby back ribs 4.jpg
You know the meat market could say all they want justifying $4.77/# baby back ribs, but the HEB ribs for $2.49 look just fine

Putting wood in the chute of the Gravity Feed Smoker........... How's that working if you like strong smoke flavor?

Leonard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » May 26th, 2019, 6:19 am

I don't think you can get the same results from a gravity feed. You can get close, but not the same.

I can't use any wood chunks or chips in my drum smoker because all the wood does is smolder and the smoke it makes is horrible. Gravity feeds are similar, but not nearly as bad. If I use chunks I place it below the fire grate and it works good.

If you want to experiment, build an ugly drum smoker and try it out, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's a great investment, they are easy enough to sell if you want to later on and you might actually make a couple bucks.
Last edited by mp4 on May 26th, 2019, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by LeonardK » May 26th, 2019, 7:17 am

I'm really glad to hear your reply with more careful thought, mp4

Might go ahead and build with larger ash tray intended as alt stick burner for an insulated cabinet along with GF and make GF burn box a little bigger like 7.5x9.5x2.5 for wood pcs along with lump or charcoal

Rich mentioned his burned 5 hrs on only 3# of lump/fuel, so seeing I already use about 20# fuel with rev flow, this will be small in comparison

Probably will buy HEB pork baby back ribs... better price $2.49/#

Just opened them up... think I like them a little dryer ... salt and black pepper maybe a little serrano

HEB pork baby back ribs 5.jpg
I liked that dry rub spice taste better

Now this hybrid idea with insulated cabinet will give more flexibility to work with, just cost a little more for the plate, seen stick versions of these ins cabinets already

Nice hearing from you

Leonard

HEB pork baby back ribs 6.jpg

Today's cook was different, I put tray as high as possible near 4 inches from top... all heat and smoke at the top

these ribs taste great, glad I had 1 beer left in fridge.... ribs, beer, onions and pickles!

Next cook using serrano, jalapenos lose heat and flavor in the cook

Return to “FOOD!”