My 1st Brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
zima-man
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

My 1st Brisket

Post by zima-man » December 16th, 2018, 2:42 pm

What's up fellers? I need a little help with my first brisket that I want to do for Christmas. I have never cooked one only eaten them! I have smoked just about everything else possible... except for that watermelon....
I will be using my drum and the brisket is 16lbs.
Questions are...
What rub to use? Usually make my own, but open to options
Inject or not to inject?
And recommendations on how and what temp to cook. I know Frank just used the Spearman Method but open to other thoughts.
The one thing the wife wants is not so much a sauce but more like a thin gravy to pour on top after it is all sliced up.
Let me know what you guys think..
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UDS Nation

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: My 1st Brisket

Post by Big T » December 16th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I normally use a basic all purpose for rub, salt pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. You should be able to find one in a local grocery store or academy sports carries Big Moe's brisket rub which is mostly the ingredients above.The last one I cooked, I injected with butchers brisket injection and it was very juicy. I cook them at 250-275 degrees, laying on the rack until it reaches 165 degrees internal temp and the I put it in a foil pan and cover with foil. Some of the guys use a bakers rack to hold it off of the bottom of the pan so it isn't cooking in the liquid that the pan catches. I haven't tried using a rack but I believe I will next time. My last one was 15 lb, I trimmed all of the hard fat off of it and it cooked it for about 14 hours at 250 degrees. As for the gravy, if you catch the juices in a pan you could use some of the liquid with some Au jus mix and it would probably be great. I don't think it would be as thick as a gravy but it wouldn't be as thin as just the liquid.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » December 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Personally..... I'm a huge fan of nothing but salt & pepper. Trim the fat cap to around 1/4-3/8", and season the night prior (wrapped in cling wrap.) Smoke at 225 F, wrap in butcher paper around 155 F, complete around 200 F when a probe inserts without resistance. A long rest, 2+ hours, is mandatory, IMO. I have a 13 lb. packer brisket in the smoker right now, 15 hours on smoke, and it's close to done.

I've been making No. 5 sauce from https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13616-No-5-Sauce. Adding in some drippings just makes it better.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 16th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Step one - buy the best brisket you can. If you can find prime buy that. Bigger is not better in this category in fact the smaller one is some times better.

Step two - make sure you can maintain 225 for at least 18 hours

Step three - trim brisket to keep a uniform shape.

Step four - half salt half pepper in a shaker cover meat well

Step five - smoke to 155ish

Step six - wrap in butcher paper and cook to 190ish checking for tenderness more than temp

Step seven - take off and let rest no less than 45 minutes

Step eight - slice against grain and serve

Simple and easy. Timing and temp maintenance is everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » December 16th, 2018, 4:45 pm

I use salt and pepper only. I will branch out later but I have good luck with how I do it. Trim fat cap down to 1/4" or less and I cut the point 80% off the flat to remove the fat between them and lay it back on. My smoker has a lot of heat coming up through the bottom so I place fat side down and cook at 250* until it reaches 160* internal. Then it gets wrapped in foil and flipped over. I continue to cook until 203* and hold it there until just before 204*.

Small ones I will do on the smoker all the way to the end. larger one's I will pull off the smoke at 160* when I wrap and finish them in the oven on a rack in a roasting pan.

My last one would not slice it was so tender. I had to cool it all the way down before it would slice. I do like them that tender though, some don't.

I have a 17 pounder waiting to go for Xmas. I'm smoking it the weekend before just because I don't want to cook all night....again.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 16th, 2018, 6:00 pm

I usually inject with a low salt beef broth. Also wrap with butcher paper. A ‘prime’ cut is a must.

My last few briskets i’ve split the point and flat. They seem to cook much easier and a little faster and more evenly as the super thick center part is eliminated. I love to smoke but 18 hours is too long for me when I am the only one running the firebox so the 12-14 hour session is much more appreciated.

zima-man
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by zima-man » December 16th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Thanks guys for your opinions. I think I'll make the basic rub but try to find that butchers brisket injection. It seams like it is highly recommended. I have read about that No. 5 sauce of yours before in an earlier post. It sounds pretty good.
I like the idea of wrapping it and finishing it off in the oven for convenience. One thing that I always think about though is why the oven? Why can't you wrap it like you would for the oven but just crank the drum up to the desired temp? Its already hot and there are still plenty of coals left in the basket. Just my thought...
Thanks again

UDS Nation

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » December 16th, 2018, 9:19 pm

zima-man wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Thanks guys for your opinions. I think I'll make the basic rub but try to find that butchers brisket injection. It seams like it is highly recommended. I have read about that No. 5 sauce of yours before in an earlier post. It sounds pretty good.
I like the idea of wrapping it and finishing it off in the oven for convenience. One thing that I always think about though is why the oven? Why can't you wrap it like you would for the oven but just crank the drum up to the desired temp? Its already hot and there are still plenty of coals left in the basket. Just my thought...
Thanks again

It's fine to finish in the drum......but tending to the fire for another 6-8 hours can be a pain and once wrapped it does not know if it's in the oven or smoker.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 17th, 2018, 5:01 am

I always separate the point and flat. They cook differently as the point has more fat. After wrapping don't exceed 250. You want it to braise, not boil. 203 should get you close but always go for probe tender . An instant read thermo or skewer should slide in with no resistance . The point usually takes longer to get buttery.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “FOOD!”