Smoking Wood and Mositure

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Kcd2016
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Smoking Wood and Mositure

Postby Kcd2016 » June 28th, 2017, 9:24 am

I'm about to do my first smoke on the reverse flow I've just built. And of course it falls on a holiday weekend so I'm going to be feeding a crowd even though I've never cooked on this beast, or even bbq'ed with a stick burner or 100% wood before... should be interesting. (I'm the kind of guy that would prefer to have a test cook or two before feeding a crowd)

From my research last night it seems smoking wood should be below 20% moisture content, optimally around 12% . My trusty meter says that the oak I picked up yesterday is sitting at 25%.

So is 25% too wet and going to billow out white bitter smoke the whole time? Would it help to preburn the sticks, just get them ignited in the firepit first and then throw them in the firebox? If I do the preburn use just ignited sticks or burn them all the way down to coals and use the coals? Or is 25% while not great, still at least okay to cook with?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Smoking Wood and Mositure

Postby Rodcrafter » June 28th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I put them inside the FB beside the fire basket so they don't catch. Then each time I put more wood on the fire I used those first and replaced them with new ones

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Kcd2016
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Postby Kcd2016 » June 28th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I put them inside the FB beside the fire basket so they don't catch. Then each time I put more wood on the fire I used those first and replaced them with new ones

Inside *beside* the firebasket? I'm not sure I've got room, what do you think?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker

Postby mp4 » June 28th, 2017, 2:11 pm

You'll have room - just split them small and everything will be good.

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Postby Big T » June 28th, 2017, 6:58 pm

I don't have room inside my FB so I lay them on top of the FB. I flip them over every now and then so they don't lite up before I'm ready. I keep more on the FB than I need for the next time and rotate them out so I don't run out of pre heated wood.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Postby Rodcrafter » July 1st, 2017, 12:41 pm

:yth:

Either way works, on top they can try to burn so just roll them every once in a while. You will do fine, the main thing is don't stress, have fun!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “FOOD!”