Isthis good smoke or bad smoke?

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Isthis good smoke or bad smoke?

Post by ACC » May 21st, 2017, 10:44 pm

I'm trying to learn how to produce great smoke flavor in my meats. Earlier cooks had mostly invisible smoke or very faint. Unfortunately, some tasted more like roast beef than BBQ. I overcompensated on a subsequent cook and smoke taste was too strong. The last cook came out pretty good, not "wonderfully delicious" but restaurant quality. How do you guys rate the smoke in the picture? Is it acceptable or too thick/sooty? Would you call it light blue, medium blue or heavy blue? Is there a difference between blue smoke and gray smoke as far as flavor is concern?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Isthis good smoke or bad smoke?

Post by mp4 » May 21st, 2017, 10:51 pm

I think too much smoke...try to lighten it up. Your earlier cook smoke sounded right to me...you're just suffering from the smokers curse. You are in the smoke all day and loose the ability to taste it. I know I don't notice until the next day when I try to wear the same cloths and can't because they reek so bad.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 21st, 2017, 11:19 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 22nd, 2017, 8:07 pm

I would say it is a fire that isn't burning fully. I find that I need to burn the smallest fire I can to reach the temperature I want. The smoke takes care of itself.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » May 23rd, 2017, 4:28 am

The reason I posted the picture was to make certain I correctly understand the advice I get from people. I’ve read many post where people advise that I should seek a light blue smoke. I’ve done that and produced roast beef. I thought maybe their idea of light smoke is not the same as my idea of light smoke. That would result in me not applying enough smoke and getting roast beef instead of barbeque. So I posted this picture to try to establish a common benchmark. I call this heavy smoke.

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » May 23rd, 2017, 4:31 am

[quote...you're just suffering from the smokers curse. You are in the smoke all day and loose the ability to taste it. I know I don't notice until the next day when I try to wear the same cloths and can't because they reek so bad][/quote]

So true! On the last cook, I thought the Que was lack luster. Ate some 2 days later and it was nice and smoky!

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » May 23rd, 2017, 4:45 am

I would say it is a fire that isn't burning fully. I find that I need to burn the smallest fire I can to reach the temperature I want. The smoke takes care of itself.
Not burning completely, probably so. This picture was taken during the middle of the cook (4 or 5 hr mark) after I added 3 sticks of pecan. I get this level of smoke whenever I add wood to the FB. The air is shut down in order to keep the temp at 225.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » May 23rd, 2017, 11:32 am

Rodcrafter mentioned on a different thread (he said he got it from Frank) pre-staging your splits inside the firebox but away from the coals far enough it won't ignite. They light almost instantly without the smoky phase with ambient temp splits. I wonder if that would help in this case?

Also, if you believe Alton Brown I think that quite a bit of the 'good' flavor in smoke is actually in the non-visible part of the spectrum. The heavier the smoke the more it tends to carry tars, creosote, and supposedly has more carcinogens than the clear stuff. You do go 'nose blind' to our own smoke during a cook though I agree!

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 24th, 2017, 10:50 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 27th, 2017, 7:04 am

I think the Roast Beef you produced was probably more due to technique than smoke. The light smoke u had was good, especially for long cooks. Wrapping in foil sometimes creates a roast beef product. Try butcher paper or no wrap at all. Add a water pan and just keep the temp low so the meat doesn't dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Return to “FOOD!”