Ribs

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Peter_Caldwell
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Ribs

Post by Peter_Caldwell » April 6th, 2011, 10:14 am

I'm thinking about doing some ribs tomorrow. What kind of times and temperature does anyone recommend? Its been a while since doing ribs and the last time u did them they did not turn out well. Any pointers?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: Ribs

Post by Frank_Cox » April 6th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Either one of the toms are the experts with comp style ribs. I do 2 methods... i remove the membrane and use the 3-2-1 method and if i don't want to do the foil treatment then i do the mustard and a spicy sweet rub then put them in for about 5-7 hours. Try to pull them at 172*F and they are MMMMM good 8-)

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Peter_Caldwell
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Peter_Caldwell » April 6th, 2011, 7:24 pm

What temp do you run the smoker at? I'm unfamiliar with the 3-2-1 or the foil method.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 6th, 2011, 7:54 pm

well, the 3-2-1 method is the foil method. beware they will fall off the bone and be extremely tender :mrgreen:
3-2-1 method-
Smoker at 225*F -240*F and smoke the ribs for 3 hours then remove ribs and wrap in foil for 2 hours. At this time you could put some watered down apple sauce, apple juice, or another mop of your choice and then seal the foil. then after 2 hours open the foil and smoke them for about 1 hour to build some bark. They should be removed when they hit 172*F. If they over cook they will be like pulled pork.
One thing to remember is 3-2-1 method for long ends and 2-2-1 for St. Louis style.
hope this helps! :D

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 6th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Well Frank pretty well nailed it. The only part I see being tough to do is to actually catch a good temp reading. Not that it can't be done, its just tough to do. Kinda like getting temps on drumsticks.

Now if I am doing a fund raiser then I cook the ribs nekkid the whole time. Running the smoker somewhere between 220 and 250. The range is kinda broad since when doing 300 slabs I tend to get busy doing other things. Once in a while it may even hit 275. Honestly I try not to stress over the temps unless they are way out of range.

The time varies greatly on different rigs when you cook this way.
For us,

Southern Pride about 4 hours.
Old Hickory pit (giant) about 6 hours.
The rotisirator about 4 to 5 hours.

We spray them with apple juice most of the time, others we have used Dr Pepper. Every hour.
When the bones start to pull back we start watching a little closer.
And there ready to come out when the meat right there at the end is almost ready to be pulled from the bone. Usually there is about 1/2" of bone showing. This varies just a little.

If we have gotten them out to early, we can put um in the hot box for a little while and they will tender up.

Just don't cook um to long, its hard to recover from mushy meat.

BTW
If you dry um out, sauce the heck out of um and take um to work. The guys will love um and say thats the best ribs they ever had.

The only time I use sauce is when I mess something up, sauce is the fix all.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 6th, 2011, 9:08 pm

:mrgreen:
see i told ya! tom knows his crap :lol:

Peter_Caldwell
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Peter_Caldwell » April 6th, 2011, 11:32 pm

I've always loved ribs. As ling as I can remember. There is a restaurant near me that claims that they serve the mist pork per person than any restaurant in the country. I can say that if they aren't at the very top, they sure have to be near it. Great ribs, but the problem is, you know they have to be boiled. When walking outside the restaurant, to me, you should smell smoke. You don't. They still taste really good though. I just want to make better.
Has anyone either been to or heard of Big Bob Gibsons? I've eaten there a few times outside Huntsville. I have a friend of mine down there ship me bottles of their sauce periodically. I prefer to make my own. I looked at a lot of different recipes and took what I liked from them and made my own. It's all in my head. If I take the time at some point I'll put thought to paper and share it. I've had a number of people that have tried it ask me to make them more. Even had an order for two gallons once for a graduation party.
Thanks for the advice on the ribs. Really glad I found this page. I'll post an update as soon as I get a chance to make them.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » April 7th, 2011, 8:21 am

Sounds great! I have never been to the place you mentioned in Huntsville.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Return to “FOOD!”