First-time brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
ed-ct
beginner
beginner

First-time brisket

Post by ed-ct » August 9th, 2018, 1:57 pm

I'm planning my first attempt at brisket and burnt ends, with an 11lb select packer.

I've got post oak, and will use a wsm 18 modified for propane

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... =57&t=6666

It will need to be split, which racks are better for the point and flat? I'm thinking the point for the hotter upper rack

Does it matter which side up for each piece?

Is using no rub a mistake?

I'll wrap each piece at the proper temp, what's recommended for each piece? 165?

Each piece off the smoker at 203-205degrees, each wrapped with towels and in cooler for three hours

then cut point for ends, in pan sprinkle with rub, dab with sauce, one hour in smoker

Let flat sit in cooler for the extra hour

Thanks for comments/suggestions.
Last edited by ed-ct on August 24th, 2018, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

towtruck
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: First-time brisket questions

Post by towtruck » August 9th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I can answer one of your questions.......just salt and pepper on your first one. Keep it simple.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I agree that I would use something for a rub even if it was S. P. Most guys wrap around 165 or whenever you get the color that you are wanting. The point has a lot more internal fat than the flat so it can handle the higher temp better than the flat without it drying out. I cooked one last weekend and I intended to pull it at 200 but it was just a little tight so it went to 205 before it probed tender, after sitting wrapped in the cooler it was a little over cooked. It was tender and juicy but I couldn't slice it like I wanted to so you'll have to keep a close eye on it. I cooked mine fat side down but everyone has their reasons for fat up or down but since the heat is coming from the bottom of your cooker then the fat will give you a little extra protection. I can't really help you on the burnt ends because I have only attempted them a few times but I didn't rest the point before cutting it into chunks and tossing them in sauce and back on the smoker.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 10th, 2018, 12:00 am

To each their own but when I separate the point/flat, I pretty much trim all the fat off it. Some swear it has to be left on but let’s face it, nobody wants a mouthful of fat and trimming it off when served means all the rub goes away too.

On long cooks, I might recommend rotating the cuts every 2 hours or so. And know that they will cook at different rates and need to be pulled off at different times.

I would definately add some flavor to it. Commercial rubs are available or mix up something simple.

Have fun...good luck and pace the beer as it’s going to be a long day!

ed-ct
beginner
beginner

Post by ed-ct » August 10th, 2018, 8:54 am

Thanks for your insights. I'm more concerned with the flat, since the point will be cut up and sprinkled with basic dry rub and sauce.

When i smoked beef ribs a few weeks ago, i used salt and pepper on some and a couple different dry rubs on the others. The salt and pepper ribs tasted like pastrami to me.

I guess the next step from salt/pepper would salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder, maybe i'll give it a light dusting with that.

ed-ct
beginner
beginner

Post by ed-ct » August 10th, 2018, 9:53 am

Big T wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm
I cooked mine fat side down but everyone has their reasons for fat up or down but since the heat is coming from the bottom of your cooker then the fat will give you a little extra protection.
yeah, I saw how some people put the flat fat side down on a lower rack and the point above it to drip down on the flat.

I'm also assuming the wsm is hotter on the upper rack since a huge water pan is below the lower rack.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 10th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Any grocery store or sporting good store would have a nice selection of commercial rubs. I would start there as that give some you a known flavor. Right now, you have too many variables so difficult to adjust process for the next time.

ed-ct
beginner
beginner

Post by ed-ct » August 24th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Finally did it yesterday.

Split a 12lb select packer, light rub overnight

My wsm18 is modded for propane, burned two big chunks of post oak and ran it between 225-250

wrapped them in foil after about 4 1/2 hours, when they hit 150

Pulled from smoker at 205+, total time 7 1/2 hours

Here's the point and flat

Let point rest an hour, cut up and added rub/sauce. Back in smoker for another 1 1/2 hours

Flat rested while ends in smoker, then sliced

They both tasted great, but the point and flat were over cooked a bit. A little sauce did the trick with the flat.

The internal temps rose faster than I expected near the end, and I used a regular meat thermometer.

I could've run the smoker @225, but I ran it higher 240+/- for this.

I'm going to get a digital thermometer with multiple probes.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First-time brisket

Post by ajfoxy » August 24th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Looks good. :kewl:
It's all a learning curve. In fact I'm about halfway up my mountain, still a fair way to go. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2018, 5:55 pm

It looks good enough to eat to me! :needfood: Like AJ said nobody cooks a perfect brisket on their first try unless it's by accident.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » August 24th, 2018, 8:16 pm

I think it looks awesome! I bet you are the only one that ate it that complained.

ed-ct
beginner
beginner

Post by ed-ct » August 24th, 2018, 8:33 pm

For a first attempt, I'm pleased.

I'm really happy I did the propane mod.. really makes a huge difference for me.

and Thx for the help here http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... =57&t=6666

Return to “FOOD!”