Whole logs or Splits

Discussion about Woods for smoking
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Whole logs or Splits

Post by Mo Smoke » November 2nd, 2015, 8:43 pm

The other day I started a conversation on burning wood with or without the bark. I figure while we are at it, might as well see what the take is on whole logs vs splits. I can get some oak for free, cut into pieces about 16-18 inches long, 3-8 inches in diameter. My brother in law cut it with a chainsaw a few months ago. No way to split it though unless I want use an axe and after a few tries, I realize it looks a lot easier on tv. Plus I prefer to keep all of my toes attached to my feet. I can buy oak splits from another guy I know for a reasonable price as another option. Basically a pickup truckload for about 70 bucks. Bark isn't a big deal on the splits, its either gone already or comes off easy. If it doesn't I just leave it. The whole logs all have bark and its not coming off, gotta burn as is. I will probably get some since its free and just let it sit for a few more months. Then I'll see how it burns. In the meantime though. I'm going with the splits, guessing that the burn will be more even and the lack of bark will keep it clean. But as always, I want to know what the fellas think. Talk to me boys.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Whole logs or Splits

Post by Big T » November 2nd, 2015, 11:36 pm

I like for my logs to be split into fist size splits but if the log is in the 3''-4'' range I don't bother splitting them. My smoker is roughly 110 gallons and I feel like the smaller splits make my fire management a little easier. The smaller splits seem to ignite faster and burn a little cleaner while keeping a smaller fire. I'm sure everybody has their own way of doing things but in my mind this seems to work best. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 3rd, 2015, 6:24 pm

I agree that splitting wood with anything but a log splitter is crazy hard and dangerous. When I was a kid I thought it was fun, my definition of fun has changed over time. I split everything I burn it lights faster and so makes a stick burner a little easier to use.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 3rd, 2015, 9:09 pm

I find myself in agreement with RC and Big T ALL the time. My experiences have been exactly the same.

INCLUDING my definition of fun :D

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Wood”