Discussion about Woods for smoking
Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

How much smoke is too much smoke?

Post by Pennywise » December 4th, 2014, 9:34 am

So I see randomly posted comments about wood flaming within X amount of time to rid yourself of 'blue' smoke. I have had plenty of smokes where the visible smoke goes on for the first few hours, then peters off. I guess I haven't noticed a difference in rolling smoke or light smoke when it comes to flavor...mainly because I only add smoke for a few hours and after that its no wood all coals until completion.

Now I'm curious..are these random tidbits based on stick burners only? Or is this something I need to be paying better attention to? I have never produced bitter food (well...maybe in the very beginning) and usually have a fantastic smoke ring doing it the way I do it now. That being said I haven't cooked on my build yet, so I'm on a fact finding mission.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: How much smoke is too much smoke?

Post by Frank_Cox » December 4th, 2014, 11:11 am

Great Question!
Actually, the mission for better Que depends on having only thin blue smoke to clear smoke. anything heavier than thin wispy blue smoke is incomplete combustion and will lead to the bitter and over smoked taste. the heavy gray and white smoke carries a lot of soot, ash, and all kinds of nasty chemicals with it and it settles on your food and coats the inside of your smoker.
Now the exception to this rule is on a water smoker like a backwoods design. the white color you see there is mostly due to steam from the water. in this case you would need to go by smell.
Thin blue smoke is what you're looking for. :beer:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 4th, 2014, 12:35 pm

That guy said...go by smell. Tried that at the american royal but everytime I went in there trailer I almost fell out due to the aroma. YIKES> if you have never spent 5 days with 4 other people in a trailer.... you really should.

Remember there is :rulz:

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » December 6th, 2014, 11:01 pm

When the smoke from your cooker obscures the sign that is 10 foot tall and the entire width of the supermarket you are cooking in front of I would say that's a bit much. True story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » December 7th, 2014, 12:47 pm

:yth:

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 7th, 2014, 3:29 pm

On my reverse flow, once the temps are up and the fire is running, I can barely see smoke from the stack. It looks mostly Iike heat distortion until I add a new split. That smokes a little bit ...within a few minutes, it thins out again. One thing is that despite the size of the firebox, the fire is likely to be 3 splits or so, a little thinner than a soda can and about 17-19" long.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Wood”