First build, tank cutting advice

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
smoke_savage
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

First build, tank cutting advice

Post by smoke_savage » March 22nd, 2018, 2:46 am

Hi all, I’ve decided to embark on a build, very basic knowledge so far but I’m reading as much as I can to learn.
I’ve sourced all the tools but I’m currently stuck on what cutting tool to use on a 5mm thick compressor receiver tank.
Is a plasma the only good fast option, I have access to a rental unit, are hand tools such as an angle grinder with cutting blade a complete pain in the arse? They look slow and potentially not as clean to cut?

Thanks for your time

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First build, tank cutting advice

Post by ajfoxy » March 22nd, 2018, 6:03 am

You can use an angle grinder with a slimmy disk (thin metal cutting disk). It is a bit slow, but hey, it's not a race it is a journey. :D

You can also use a plasma cutter. A little faster but with speed comes potential wander in the cut unless you've done it heaps of times before. 5mm should not pose a problem. Remember with plasma you'll probably get a bit of slag top and bottom of the cut, depending on your level of experience. This will need to be ground off with, yep you guessed it the afore mentioned angle grinder.

As mentioned before it is a journey building a smoker so you don't have to take the "fastest" route. Take your time, enjoy the build experience and you'll end up with a smoker that will last a long, long time.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2018, 8:39 pm

:yth: good advice

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 22nd, 2018, 10:26 pm

That is thin enough I’d just use a grinder cut-off on it. Plasma is more fun and less messy but doesn’t seem worth renting or going thru the learning curve for just a door.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”