What should I get to help with construction of smoker

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

What should I get to help with construction of smoker

Post by Heatermeter builder » September 22nd, 2017, 12:31 pm

I just ordered my first welder, a Eastwood 135a mig welder and wanted to know what else I should get to help with my build of a double pan gravity smoker. I been looking at tables and possible a corner jig to help weld the frame. I don't have a lot of room in the garage, as my wife may get upset if I were to take over her place to park her car. But I still could probably get a good size table, if it's really needed.

I been looking at the smaller folding tables and some clamps to hold the 2x2 tubing while they are welded.

Is there anything else to make the job easier?

John

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Re: What should I get to help with construction of smoker

Post by Weldun » September 22nd, 2017, 3:57 pm

A few pairs of vise grip clamps come in really handy

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker

Post by mp4 » September 22nd, 2017, 4:04 pm

pipe clamps come in handy - at least 4.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » September 22nd, 2017, 4:36 pm

Bear in mind the double pan gravity feed is a beast. And it will get very heavy, very quickly. A sturdy welding table is nice. I don't believe one needs to purchase a StrongHand or CertiFlat type table, although very nice. A probably more practical option for the occasional fabricator is a fabricated steel table with 1/4 steel top AND WHEELS. This way it can be used as a welding table, fabrication table and if needs be even live outside for a portion of the year if space is at a premium. Then you need a heap of clamps to ensure any metal you are heating via welding stays in place as much as possible... :-)
Depending on your welding skills, your next most important asset will be a grinder with flap disk, grinding disk, cutting disk etc. After that, purhcase as you need. No sense in buying a whole bunch of tools and some never come out of their packaging.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » September 22nd, 2017, 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone for their help. I'm thinking of going to the metal recycling center, down the road and seeing if I can find some scrap metal for a table. I can probably get one big enough to accommodate the framing of the smoker, and after I can always cut the legs off to save some space in the garage. We do have a 3 car tadem garage, but I have my 3d printing and soldering area taking up a section of the garage. I could always put that stuff into storage.

The weight of this build does have me a little worried, but I think after the framing is finished and I could get some help with the fire box and charcoal chute, I should be fine, hopefully.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » September 23rd, 2017, 3:41 am

Another suggestin with the DP is once you have the frame finished you put it on wheels. Makes manoeving it around a tad easier. And don't forget to leave out the top strut by the chute to enable you to put the chute in the frame.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » September 24th, 2017, 8:56 pm

:yth: if you can afford it, 2 grinders are better, such a pain changing discs all the time, lol. :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » September 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Yes that is true

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”