I could Really use some advice...fast

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
SeenRed
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

I could Really use some advice...fast

Post by SeenRed » April 12th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Evening Friends,

I have a chance to buy a welder off CL for a very good price. It's a Hobart Handler 190, like new, with 2 mig guns, a spool gun, and gas regulator/hose (no gas cylinder). The catch is, the guy has 3 other offers that match mine...he's gonna give me first shot, but he wants to know soon.

Y'all may recall that I'm a beginner...want to learn and gain the skill to build my own GF cooker. So I feel like I need a machine that can weld up to 1/2" steel plate, for the fire box assembly.

So my urgent question is, will the 190 meet my needs? Will it make all the welds needed to build, say a double pan GF?

I don't want to buy a rig that I'll outgrow in 6 months.

This guy wants an answer...he doesn't want to lose the other buyers if I bolt.

Can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks in advance...

Red

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: I could Really use some advice...fast

Post by Big T » April 12th, 2017, 10:35 pm

I'm not sure what your budget is but I would try to get the biggest machine that you can. I know the 190 will not do 1/2'' single pass but you could probably bevel the edges and run multiple passes seeing as it's just the FB. The big thing is once you do learn to weld you don't want to be limited by a small machine and if you're like me it'll be hard to explain to the Mrs. why you need to buy another welder..lol

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SeenRed
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by SeenRed » April 12th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Yep...that's what I figured. What I really think I need/want is something along the lines of a Hobart 210 MVP, or a Millermatic 211. I'd rather bite the bullet and spend a little more now, than need a bigger machine a later.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Red

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » April 12th, 2017, 10:48 pm

That would be the smart way to go. Buy the biggest you can afford.
Or else you will be waiting for the missus to drop the payback bomb when you have to purchase a second more gruntier model.

And I always work on the theory it is sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

SeenRed
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by SeenRed » April 12th, 2017, 11:00 pm

ajfoxy wrote:That would be the smart way to go. Buy the biggest you can afford.
Or else you will be waiting for the missus to drop the payback bomb when you have to purchase a second more gruntier model.

And I always work on the theory it is sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission. :D
Ain't that the truth?!!

Thanks for reinforcing what I was already thinking about this machine. I believe those Hobart 190's are great machines, but not quite beefy enough for what I want to do. Think I'll keep saving my coins until I can afford to buy the machine I really want and need.

Cheers! :beer:

Red

pr0wlunwoof
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by pr0wlunwoof » April 13th, 2017, 4:59 pm

It depends on how good a deal is. If he has 3 offers I would dare to say you can prolly get your money out of it if you decide you want bigger. Depends on if your going to build one smoker or 10. My lincoln 140 is about as much as I can see needing until I get a dedicated garage which at that point the cost of the welder is negligible. My rule of thumb is buy for life or buy with the idea you can get 80% out when u need to upgrade. If your wife can't understand that logic, go ahead and upgrade her cause you gonna have more problems than it's worth.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » April 13th, 2017, 5:27 pm

=))

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

SeenRed
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by SeenRed » April 14th, 2017, 10:46 am

pr0wlunwoof wrote:It depends on how good a deal is. If he has 3 offers I would dare to say you can prolly get your money out of it if you decide you want bigger. Depends on if your going to build one smoker or 10. My lincoln 140 is about as much as I can see needing until I get a dedicated garage which at that point the cost of the welder is negligible. My rule of thumb is buy for life or buy with the idea you can get 80% out when u need to upgrade. If your wife can't understand that logic, go ahead and upgrade her cause you gonna have more problems than it's worth.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
There's a lot of logic in what you say...well, except for the wife part...she's put up with a lot of my s@#t over the last 25 years, so I ain't going anywhere until she throws me out! 8-)

If I'd thought all that through, I might have pulled the trigger (he was asking 600, but said yes to 550), but the guy didn't want to let his other buyers get away, and I didn't wanna jerk him around while I was hemming and hawing... so I let it go. When push came to shove, I admitted to myself that what I really want is that 210 amp MVP machine. So my current plan is to save up and get what I want the first time. Shouldn't take me too long... And buying a new rig instead of off CL gives the added peace of mind of a warranty and some buyer protection.

In the meantime, I'm sure I'll keep checking on CL and eBay for one of those rare bargains, but I'm OK with waiting til I can afford what I really want. I can't really begin any build project anyway until later this year after my retirement, so...

Thanks for all the feedback!
Red

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”