Diamond edge cut-off wheels for metal

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet

Diamond edge cut-off wheels for metal

Postby Dirtytires » December 15th, 2016, 12:36 am

I was graced with 30minutes to kill so pulled into a big box hardware store to grab a few things. While hunting for the right size cut-off wheel, I stumbled across a metal wheel rimmed with diamonds. Naturally, I picked one up...I believe it was a Lenox metal max brand. A little research turned up a similiar one from Milwaukee called a steelhead. I have yet to try them...and won't get to for a while, I'm afraid. Anyone out there have any pros or cons for either one vs a standard abrasive wheel?

I found that the steelhead is about twice the price ($30 for a 4.5 inch wheel) as the metal max but also claims to last more than twice as long. Any thoughts out there?

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Diamond edge cut-off wheels for metal

Postby Big T » December 15th, 2016, 10:51 pm

I've used diamond blades to cut concrete many times through the years and occasionally we would cut through a piece of rebar without any issues. I've used a rough cut skil saw blade to cut 1/8'' aluminum plate and I was very hesitant to make the first cut but now I wouldn't do it any other way. The only con I can think of is the price but if it lasts longer and does a better job then it may be worth it. Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » December 16th, 2016, 12:10 am

I just love new tools....I'm gonna try them out over holiday break.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Rodcrafter » December 17th, 2016, 8:21 pm

Interesting

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

weld6g
beginner
beginner
Title: Member

Postby weld6g » December 17th, 2016, 9:36 pm

From talking with the machinists that I have worked with, I was always under the impression that diamond wheels of any type will load up while cutting or grinding softer metals such as steel or aluminum. I am curious to know this as well.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » January 10th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Yikes....I forgot about my new wheels and forgot to try them out. That has now been remedied.

I've had the chance to use them on some 0.125 angle as well as 0.625 square tube. The diamond wheel cuts a bit slower and has a bit of a higher pitch sound (we all wear ear plugs, right?). The tubing was easier to cut vs a carbon wheel as it stayed the same diameter and consistently cut thru the whole tube. The only drawbacks I found was the cut is a bit slower to make and it leaves a little slag on the bottom side of the cut.

I made probably 50 cuts with it (estimate I would have destroyed 2-3 Dewalt hd blades) and the last cut as well as the first. It appears it will last a pretty long time. It won't replace my carbon cut-offs but it definitely has a place in my arsenal.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Weldun » January 10th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Big T wrote:I've used diamond blades to cut concrete many times through the years and occasionally we would cut through a piece of rebar without any issues. I've used a rough cut skil saw blade to cut 1/8'' aluminum plate and I was very hesitant to make the first cut but now I wouldn't do it any other way. The only con I can think of is the price but if it lasts longer and does a better job then it may be worth it. Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Funny story,we had a job at our shop a while back that involved cutting 3/4" aluminum plate and one of our old timers suggested a skil saw and everyone laughed except for me because he's one of those quiet but sharp fellas, he cut that stuff with a rough cut carbide tipped blade like it was no big deal.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Postby Big T » January 10th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Funny story,we had a job at our shop a while back that involved cutting 3/4" aluminum plate and one of our old timers suggested a skil saw and everyone laughed except for me because he's one of those quiet but sharp fellas, he cut that stuff with a rough cut carbide tipped blade like it was no big deal.[/quote]

Wow 3/4''. It doesn't sound like a very good idea the first time that someone suggests it but once you see it in action you'll become a believer.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”