Freezer build I need some help

Discussions about turning that old refrigerator into a Smoker
Cohoho

Freezer build I need some help

Post by Cohoho » March 18th, 2014, 2:02 pm

image.jpg
I have a stainless steel blast chiller it is stainless inside and out my problem is it has polyurothaine insolation I want to know if I line the inside with rock wool insolation then seal it in with rock board or aluminum sheeting would that insulate it enough so I do not have to take the unit apart and remove the polyurothain insolation ?? I really do not want to take this thing apart but I want to know it is safe to cook in any information is welcome thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: Freezer build I need some help

Post by Frank_Cox » March 19th, 2014, 8:33 am

you would prolly be fine to line it with roxul insulation and then skin the inside but the inside would need to be welded solid so it does not leak. I seen a pepsi vending machine done this way once and it worked fine but it smelled bad on the outside still.

Cohoho

Post by Cohoho » March 19th, 2014, 11:22 am

Think I'm leaning towards just doin cold smoke I think it is going to be next to impossible to take this thing apart. If I start ripping it apart to remove all the insolation I think I will destroy it and it is too nice of a unit to just destroy so I think a cold smoker is the way to go for now till I figure how to replace the insolation without wrecking it. Now as for being a cold smoker the insolation should be fine as is anyone disagree with that or I'm I good to go??

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 19th, 2014, 10:08 pm

My cold smoking has never hit 90 degrees inside my whiskey barrel using a pellet tray for about 5 hours. When outdoor temps are below 45 it does not see 70. These temps seem to be easily within safe regular summer ambient temps. And the box insulation should not react. Some cold smoking may be defined as below 140 that I would not know much about. You might even wish to try an outboard smoke generator with the smoke piped in from 2-4 feet away if you're really concerned. This method might qualify numerous other vessels to be used as cold smokers.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 20th, 2014, 8:13 am

Interesting thought here.....
In some areas of the country it is hard to cold smoke in the summer because it's too hot. wonder if something like this might work! put it on the inside of the smoker and turn it on.... if it was built out of steel....
Screen-Shot-2013-06-29-at-6.11.26-AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » March 20th, 2014, 1:35 pm

WTF kinda of hippie crap is that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » March 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Looks like a custom Smokerbuilder air conditioner to me. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » March 21st, 2014, 4:26 am

Fill it with water and you got a whole-house humidifier for a single-wide… just sayin' :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

bjackbbq

Post by bjackbbq » March 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:you would prolly be fine to line it with roxul insulation and then skin the inside but the inside would need to be welded solid so it does not leak. I seen a pepsi vending machine done this way once and it worked fine but it smelled bad on the outside still.
Frank, would it smell bad because of the Roxul? I am getting ready to build a Pellet Smoker and was looking into using Roxul.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » March 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm

The smell would be from the existing foam insulation. Just my $.02. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

redruff

Post by redruff » March 23rd, 2014, 10:01 pm

You don't want to line it with aluminum. Acids from rubs, food etc. can react with aluminum.
Aluminum oxide isn't something you want to eat.

Line it with stainless if you are going to skin it.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 23rd, 2014, 11:02 pm

By the way, your external smoke generator would work well. It will create the smoke, air flow and keep heat away from the smoke vessel. Don't let it blow hard but trial and error will help decide

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 24th, 2014, 6:18 am

You don't have to use expensive metals the steel you use won't rust. Once you treat it with cooking spray and begin using it it will collect a thin coat of goodness and rust will no longer be a part of the process.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Margaret8

Post by Margaret8 » September 24th, 2014, 6:25 am

Certain parts of my refrigerator got corroded since its been in use since ages. It was causing a squeaking sound everytime I opened and closed the freezer. I consulted a profesional powder coating service for rescue. They examined the internal parts and it was finally saved from damage.

dancalvin12

Post by dancalvin12 » September 18th, 2015, 5:17 am

bjackbbq wrote:
Frank_Cox wrote:you would prolly be fine to line it with roxul insulation and then skin the inside but the inside would need to be welded solid so it does not leak. I seen a pepsi vending machine done this way once and it worked fine but it smelled bad on the outside still.
Frank, would it smell bad because of the Roxul? I am getting ready to build a Pellet Smoker and was looking into using Roxul.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
no i don't think so that Roxul have that much weird smell, have you made it?? share your pictures with us

Return to “Refrigerator Smokers”