Insulating frame tubing

Also called Stump's Clone.
TapRackPull

Insulating frame tubing

Post by TapRackPull » September 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

Hello All,
I purchased a set of plans for the double pan GF to replace an aging electric smoker. Its exciting to have the potential for a larger cooking volume. Once a year I travel to Airventure at Oshkosh Wi for a week of camping and flying fun, and over the last few years Iv run the ol"electric smoker overnight. Makes for a great healthy breakfast of sausage and a decent smoked shoulder for lunch and dinner. This last year though I was hosting more cookouts than I was eating for myself so its time to step up. Looking over these plans I came up with a few questions, hopefully someone might be able to provide some insight.

1. Does anyone have a ballpark weight fully assembled? I'm not planing on flying it to KOSH, but I might be able to convince a friend to trailer it if its not too heavy.

2. Has anyone tried using expanding spray foam for insulating the frame tubes?

Thanks in advance,
GI Joe

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Insulating frame tubing

Post by towtruck » September 8th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Welcome. I can't help you with the weight but the spray foam I have used is not heat resistant. Just cut up some of the good stuff and stuff it in there.

Somewhere there was a thread on the kits and shipping weight....I'll have to search to see what I come up with....

Edit Seems the shipping weight is 1200 lbs on the DP kit.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » September 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

They are really heavy, so when planning for wheels, go with something big and wide. That way you should be able to negotiate most surfaces.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

bvbull200
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Will cook for welds
BBQ Comp Team Name: Pitfaced BBQ

Post by bvbull200 » September 8th, 2019, 10:09 pm

The steel I ordered for mine came in at 707 lbs. It included the extra expanded after cutting down for the racks, so it's a little more than the plans call for, but not much.

We're adding racks and other modifications that will increase the weight. After factoring in insulation, ball valves, latches, hinges, casters, etc, I'm expecting to be pushing 900 lbs.

TapRackPull

Post by TapRackPull » September 8th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Thank you for the information
Its looking like I'm going to need to build a purpose built trailer for this smoker. I might incorporate it into a full outdoor kitchen. I have a 20 ft flat deck trailer that is needs a bit of work. With a charcoal grill, gas griddle and a walk up bar it would make a really nice setup. Now its just a waiting game until the insulation arrives.

GI Joe

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 9th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Should be a fun build. Interested to watch this one.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”