Mini Gravity Feed.

Also called Stump's Clone.
User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 2nd, 2017, 11:53 am

It has begun. Got my plans. And got some metal. Now I need some time.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Last edited by pr0wlunwoof on December 4th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1049
Joined: April 12th, 2016, 8:07 pm
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby ajfoxy » December 2nd, 2017, 5:28 pm

You are on your way now.
A bit of advice from someone who has been there... go through the plans several times. Make sure you understand how it all comes together.
And on thin metal, stitch weld. But most of all... enjoy the journey. :kewl:


Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

User avatar
Weldun
Expert
Expert
Posts: 474
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Weldun » December 2nd, 2017, 5:49 pm

You mention time, my advice is that when you do find time you don't allow yourself to rush your build. Mistakes are bound to happen when you rush and quality is certain to suffer as a result of the hurry and get it done mode, trust me when I tell you we all know how bad you want to get your build done. Keep in mind these things last a lifetime so you'll either have a lifetime to admire your build or a lifetime to look at it and wish you would have slowed down a bit and paid attention to the details. Good luck, have fun and remember we're all here to help with any issues you may encounter.


Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Cole
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Posts: 20
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Cole » December 2nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

Is that 5/16" plate going into the Mini?



User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 3rd, 2017, 11:10 am

Cole wrote:Is that 5/16" plate going into the Mini?


That is the plan. Going to use it in place of the 1/4 sheet. It was a donation to the project and will help save a few dollars. Trying to get my metal order together and hopefully have it placed in the next few days.


I cannot find 1 3/4 size tubing on the plans? It is referenced in the cut sheet and shopping list as FD but on the plans it says 1 1/2" tubing. Was this something that changed on the plans?



User avatar
Weldun
Expert
Expert
Posts: 474
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Weldun » December 3rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

All the tubing used on my mini was 1 1/2" square.


Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Heatermeter builder
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Posts: 61
Joined: September 20th, 2017, 4:51 am
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Wa

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Heatermeter builder » December 3rd, 2017, 5:30 pm

The 1 3/4 sounds like it was from the double pan plans. I would double check all plans and cutlist very carefully. I found a few mistaks in the double pan gravity feed smoker, that has cost me extra money.


If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 3rd, 2017, 6:13 pm

Yeah. It has 3 different size square tube and 4 different plate widths. I think I can do it all with 1 tube and 3 plate sizes. The casters are mounted to 2inch tube and 1/8th plate. I can manage that with what I have on hand. Has anyone found a good caster that isn't $25 a pop?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



User avatar
Weldun
Expert
Expert
Posts: 474
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Weldun » December 3rd, 2017, 6:25 pm

I found these after wasting money on a cheap set, I've been really pleased with these.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hard ... 37&ipos=11
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: RE: Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 3rd, 2017, 6:41 pm

Weldun wrote:I found these after wasting money on a cheap set, I've been really pleased with these.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hard ... 37&ipos=11
How much do you think your mini weighs?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



User avatar
Weldun
Expert
Expert
Posts: 474
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Weldun » December 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

I really don't know, it's certainly more than two guys are going to load into the back of a pickup truck.


Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: RE: Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 3rd, 2017, 6:58 pm

Weldun wrote:I really don't know, it's certainly more than two guys are going to load into the back of a pickup truck.
Yeah that sheet I have weighs 326.7072 pounds based on a calculator I found. Half of that plus the 3 sheets of 16 gauge at 245.0304 pounds. I'm guessing around 500 pounds when everything is done.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



jtoona
beginner
beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby jtoona » December 3rd, 2017, 10:09 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:
Cole wrote:Is that 5/16" plate going into the Mini?


That is the plan. Going to use it in place of the 1/4 sheet. It was a donation to the project and will help save a few dollars. Trying to get my metal order together and hopefully have it placed in the next few days.


I cannot find 1 3/4 size tubing on the plans? It is referenced in the cut sheet and shopping list as FD but on the plans it says 1 1/2" tubing. Was this something that changed on the plans?



The cut list for the mini has 1-3/4" tubing used for the door. The plan sheets say 1-1/2". I couldn't think of why you'd use different sizes. I say go 1-1/2" and make your life easier.



Heatermeter builder
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Posts: 61
Joined: September 20th, 2017, 4:51 am
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Wa

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Heatermeter builder » December 4th, 2017, 5:06 am

Casters at harbor frieght are pretty good, I hope. I got casters rated for 600 pounds pretty cheap.


If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: RE: Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 4th, 2017, 10:07 am

jtoona wrote:
pr0wlunwoof wrote:
Cole wrote:Is that 5/16" plate going into the Mini?


That is the plan. Going to use it in place of the 1/4 sheet. It was a donation to the project and will help save a few dollars. Trying to get my metal order together and hopefully have it placed in the next few days.


I cannot find 1 3/4 size tubing on the plans? It is referenced in the cut sheet and shopping list as FD but on the plans it says 1 1/2" tubing. Was this something that changed on the plans?



The cut list for the mini has 1-3/4" tubing used for the door. The plan sheets say 1-1/2". I couldn't think of why you'd use different sizes. I say go 1-1/2" and make your life easier.
That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: RE: Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 4th, 2017, 10:08 am

Heatermeter builder wrote:Casters at harbor frieght are pretty good, I hope. I got casters rated for 600 pounds pretty cheap.
I will have to look at those. Did anyone opt for locking casters?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk



jtoona
beginner
beginner
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby jtoona » December 4th, 2017, 11:50 am

Yeah HF is the place to go for casters. Get locking ones if you want!



User avatar
Rodcrafter
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7350
Joined: July 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Rodcrafter » December 4th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Be careful about putting pages of the plans on your posts please. Just be glad I'm the one telling you this.. lol


Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 4th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Be careful about putting pages of the plans on your posts please. Just be glad I'm the one telling you this.. lol


I figured it was the same as what you can see on the site before purchase :oopssign: . I took it off.



User avatar
Rodcrafter
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7350
Joined: July 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Rodcrafter » December 4th, 2017, 3:43 pm

No problem. That page is about the only one you can use like that.


Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 7th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Just made my metal order.... Learned an important lesson. Do not talk fast when ordering. The difference in 3 3/16th sheets of metal and 3 sheets of 16 gauge metal is about $250. Metal cost went from $530 to well under $280..... Glad I called back and had them tell me piece by piece the cost of the order.



User avatar
Weldun
Expert
Expert
Posts: 474
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby Weldun » December 7th, 2017, 9:55 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:Just made my metal order.... Learned an important lesson. Do not talk fast when ordering. The difference in 3 3/16th sheets of metal and 3 sheets of 16 gauge metal is about $250. Metal cost went from $530 to well under $280..... Glad I called back and had them tell me piece by piece the cost of the order.


You bring up a good point, I always order by email and have them send me an order confirmation which I go over and double check things, this is especially important when ordering material that you're having cut.


Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

User avatar
pr0wlunwoof
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Posts: 83
Joined: March 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: Mini Gravity Feed.

Postby pr0wlunwoof » December 8th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Just bought my insulation. I feel like 48 sft should be more than enough. Might have to find another project to use it on ;) .




Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest