Prepping a propane tank for cutting

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Prepping a propane tank for cutting

Post by McBroom » February 23rd, 2019, 4:46 pm

What’s the best way to treat a propane tank for cutting it?
I’ve heard of some stuff that can be bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot that gets rid of the smell and also makes it safe.
I’m getting ready to build another smoker.
I have 2 tanks that need to be cleaned/prepped before I cut them. Safety First!
Thanks In Advance

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Off Road.

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Prepping a propane tank for cutting

Post by h2orescuemedic » February 23rd, 2019, 6:14 pm

I don't worry about the smell the smell won't hurt anything, The odder is not what burns, Pull the valves and displace any lp left in the tank. If water is cheap fill it once and dump it. all the lp is gone displaced by water, The last 2 tanks I cut I took the all the valves and gauges out and rolled them over so the holes were on the bottom and left it for about a week, Just before I started cutting I stuck my shop vac in the hole and went in the shop and plugged it in with the switch already turned on. If your shop vac blows out I suggest this first or you vac will smell for a long time. After letting it run for a bit I started cutting, Man do they smell bad but never had one light off. Keep in mind LP is heaver then air so used gravity to help get rid of the LP gas. I also picked a windy day when I took the valves out of the tank the last 500 gal tank had a lot of LP left in it. If you have a Leaf blower Stick in it one of the holes and vent the tank for about a min there will be no chance of LP left in the tank. just my thought The vac and leaf blower are over kill, If you open all the holes place it in the sun on a couple windy days with the holes facing down. there won't be any LP in the tank to do anything after a couple days.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » February 23rd, 2019, 6:42 pm

Thank you. 1 tank has about 25% in it. So if I understand you correctly turn the valve on? What about the pressure?
This tank is only about 60 gallon. 4.5’ tall 12-14” diameter.
The other tank is the size for a gas grill.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Off Road.

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by h2orescuemedic » February 25th, 2019, 9:52 pm

If you live were i do and the next neighbor is a a bit of a hike. I would pick a windy day set it in the back yard away from any thing and open it up and walk away. If your right next door to someone i would hook up a fish cooker fire it up and walk away. When the fire is out your good to pull the valve. If your biggest tank is a 60 gal. You could pull the valve and stick a air hose from a air compressor in the tank and vent it for a couple min If you turned the tank on its side with a air hose blowing for a bit. There won't be any danger. That would by far be the easiest and 100 % way to vent the tank.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » February 25th, 2019, 9:54 pm

h2orescuemedic wrote:If you live were i do and the next neighbor is a a bit of a hike. I would pick a windy day set it in the back yard away from any thing and open it up and walk away. If your right next door to someone i would hook up a fish cooker fire it up and walk away. When the fire is out your good to pull the valve. If your biggest tank is a 60 gal. You could pull the valve and stick a air hose from a air compressor in the tank and vent it for a couple min If you turned the tank on its side with a air hose blowing for a bit. There won't be any danger. That would by far be the easiest and 100 % way to vent the tank.
Thanks I believe I’ll do it as you say. I live waaaayyyyyy out in the country.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Off Road.

Return to “Fabrication How to's”