Grill leg placement

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
blunt750

Grill leg placement

Post by blunt750 » February 12th, 2019, 2:12 am

Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out how to measure and calculate leg placement on a cowboy style grill. I would like to put 3 leg almost like a Weber kettle grill. I just need some help measuring and calculating the placement. The propane tank end cap I am using is 39 inches in diameter. Thanks.
80728417-A57D-49B8-B1E6-5CD40D23DBD0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Grill leg placement

Post by ajfoxy » February 12th, 2019, 3:59 am

Pick a spot on the tank end preferably lower than the widest point which according to your post is 39 inches. Run a rope or string or incredibly flexible tape around the circumference and divide by three. Although in my opinion anything that heavy should have four legs, but it is after all your grill. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » February 12th, 2019, 8:30 am

There is an advantage to 3 legs.... It won't wobble, ever.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Looks like you have 2 legs on it. Measure distance between them and then cut a perfect triangle out of cardboard such that all three sides are that measurement. Set it level on the bottom of the sub and it will point to the third leg point.

Return to “Fabrication How to's”