Questions on RPM and Gas

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Questions on RPM and Gas

Post by Texasbowhunter » October 19th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I am a newbie at MIG Welding to say the least...Have dabbled in it but to no extent become efficient at it...I've got the desire to learn the knack of welding and understand the process somewhat but have come to a delema if you will on whether to run gas or not to run gas...
If I run gas what if any should the Argon be mixed with and how much as far as the percentage...While I was reading some of the various topics on a welding forum the topic came up that they are not running Argon but have choose to run CO2 over Argon...Same band for less bucks...
You thoughts on this would be helpful to guide me in a possible alternative direction as well as the % ratio I should consider going...

Now for the RPM question and I'm curious as to someone else's views on this matter...
I have obtained at no cost to me a older 7-1/4" black and decker miter saw
its has a 4700 RPM rating on the side...
If I was to buy a steel cutting carbide saw blade for it would I have any problems destroying it before the job was finished in cutting the tubing for my GF tubing and solid rods
I'm not looking to destroy it and would hope that I would be able to use it for other projects afterwards but with it just sitting there gathering dust I figured I might try and utilize it...

Thanks
paul

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Questions on RPM and Gas

Post by Squiggle » October 19th, 2017, 2:42 pm

I use a "universal" pre-mix of argon & CO2, in Aus it's called ArgoSheild & it works very well. I used to use straight argon but found the pre-mix creates better, flatter & neater welds. :kewl:

Don't know much about the steel blades for a mitre saw, I use a chop/drop saw, similar to a mitre saw for timber but has a grinding blade for cutting steel. They are sometimes cheaper than a mitre saw.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: Questions on RPM and Gas

Post by mp4 » October 19th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Texasbowhunter wrote:I am a newbie at MIG Welding to say the least...Have dabbled in it but to no extent become efficient at it...I've got the desire to learn the knack of welding and understand the process somewhat but have come to a delema if you will on whether to run gas or not to run gas...
If I run gas what if any should the Argon be mixed with and how much as far as the percentage...While I was reading some of the various topics on a welding forum the topic came up that they are not running Argon but have choose to run CO2 over Argon...Same band for less bucks...
You thoughts on this would be helpful to guide me in a possible alternative direction as well as the % ratio I should consider going...

Thanks
paul
I've used CO2 for over 15 years and had good luck with it. I just recently acquired a bottle of C25 which I believe is 75%Argon & 25% CO2. It costs about 4 times as much per fill but seems to make a prettier bead. I'm told you get better penetration with straight CO2 and it works better on dirty metal.

I wouldn't be afraid to go either way. If you don't have to worry much about budget and are interested in a better looking weld then C25 is the way to go because penetration wouldn't be an issue and you should be using clean metal.

Sorry - no advice for your saw question.

Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Texasbowhunter » October 27th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Just a quick update
Thanks to those that replied I think I will have to go with the 25% mixture of argon and CO2 so thanks for the info...
as far as the other question I asked
I bit the bullet and saw a 7.25 carbide blade with a 5800RPM max range designed for metal cutting up to soft 1/4" metals at Northern tools
Purchased it and brought it home to try and was very surprised at how well it cut the metal I was testing on...
I think I may have a winner
One side note was the cut was very professional looking however the chips the blade made while cutting which were thrown in all directions was a bit alarming...I will have to look at this a bit more to see if this is something I can deflect in another direction or just have to bite the bullet and wear head gear...Might be something in the design of the saw as well...
But once again to recap I think we are on to something here so 2 thumbs up

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 27th, 2017, 1:43 pm

:kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » October 27th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Always a good idea to wear ear and eye protection when cutting metal with power tools.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » October 27th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I agree Safety first, so you can keep on building.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 27th, 2017, 11:30 pm

What’s this safety you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 28th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Its a guy I know I always let him do the scary stuff first.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Texasbowhunter
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Texasbowhunter » November 18th, 2017, 8:41 am

UPDATE:
It seemed that my first evaluation although correct was incorrect for longevity...
The rpm of the saw motor was wearing out the sharpness prematurely...
Although it seemed a good idea at the time it was something I would not recommend unless you have a access to many saw blades...
FYI

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » November 19th, 2017, 1:21 pm

After reading many reviews I bought the Milwaukee Circular saw, Model# 6370-21 from a tool company online for $189.00. I found out later this is a good price. I am still on the original blade, I have made approx 75 to 85 cuts with it. I learned that if you are cutting thick stock to slow down the cut and but keep moving. if i see excessive sparks I back off a little and let the blade cool a little then go again. I cut 5/8" thick stock for the firebox (its what I had) all the 1/4" plate for the clean out and charcoal chute and many others. Still going! You could build a slide rack for 2" square stock at 45 and 90 degrees and you can make all the cuts you need for a GF. Cuts are clean and ready to weld. I think todays price is about $285.00. Great tool :strongbad:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Sweet

Making memories!

Return to “Fabrication How to's”