Happy Easter!

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Happy Easter!

Post by JKalchik » April 21st, 2019, 7:02 am

I must be mentally deranged. While I did have about 45 minutes of work to do for the office early, I did fire up the smoker at 0530, and the baked beans were in by 0645. Prime rib and macaroni & cheese still to go in, and I've been told that a little kiss of smoke on dinner rolls is heavenly. I'll set aside a half a dozen knot rolls I'm making later this morning to go in for about 30 minutes just before dinner.

Hope every has a good day.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Happy Easter!

Post by McBroom » April 21st, 2019, 8:34 am

That’s an awesome menu!

Yesterday I fired my smoker up and made 2 beer can chickens,9 baked potatoes,2 lg bundles of asparagus.

On the charcoal grill I grilled 2 pineapples(peeled and sliced)

I made baked beans on the stove. I also made a spinach salad with Olivegarden Italian dressing.

And for desert was individual peach pies with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream.

It turned out to be a great time with the family. Image

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Re: Happy Easter!

Post by JKalchik » April 21st, 2019, 8:50 am

NIce lookin' smoker.

We discovered late last week that a couple of coworkers (and pretty good friends,) were at loose ends for dinner today. "Well, shoot... not like I need much of an excuse here...." So there's gonna be 4 of us for dinner today.

SMOKED asparagus? I grill asparagus for my g/f pretty regularly, I can't stand the stuff.

Forgot all about the smoked cauliflower (and I better NOT forget to make it....) par-steamed for a few minutes, tossed in a sauce made of mayonnaise, sour cream and your favorite curry blend, smoke for an hour. Has to be par-steamed, smoking all the way from fresh/raw dries it out too much.

Re: baked beans. Alton Brown's baked beans, with a couple of cups extra water, smoked uncovered. YUM. G/f says I really need to send a picture to him of the finished dish. This is one of the best baked bean recipes I've found, and they turn out VERY well in the smoker.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 21st, 2019, 9:29 am

JKalchik wrote:NIce lookin' smoker.

We discovered late last week that a couple of coworkers (and pretty good friends,) were at loose ends for dinner today. "Well, shoot... not like I need much of an excuse here...." So there's gonna be 4 of us for dinner today.

SMOKED asparagus? I grill asparagus for my g/f pretty regularly, I can't stand the stuff.

Forgot all about the smoked cauliflower (and I better NOT forget to make it....) par-steamed for a few minutes, tossed in a sauce made of mayonnaise, sour cream and your favorite curry blend, smoke for an hour. Has to be par-steamed, smoking all the way from fresh/raw dries it out too much.

Re: baked beans. Alton Brown's baked beans, with a couple of cups extra water, smoked uncovered. YUM. G/f says I really need to send a picture to him of the finished dish. This is one of the best baked bean recipes I've found, and they turn out VERY well in the smoker.
Often times I do make beans,chili and other veggies in the smoker. This smoker I made is quite a bit smaller than I usually have.
I built this one entirely from scrap metal from around the house. Leftovers from other projects. It’s a 28 gal 2 shelf setup. Firebox is approx 14 gal
I made it small just for family g2g’s. My trailer smoker was stolen so I built this one to get by till I can build another trailer mounted smoker.
And ahh the sweet taste of corn on the cob off the smoker. Yum!!!
I told the local butcher at Albertsons grocery store that if it’s edible I can cook it on the smoker.
One of my favorite things to make on the smoker is peach cobbler or any type fruit cobbler.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » April 21st, 2019, 9:59 am

Somebody swiped your trailer smoker???? Right up there with cattle rustlin', that's a hangin' offense.

I build Frank's double pan gravity fed. For me.... it's the right smoker, and I've used more of the capacity that I thought I would have.

I grill a fair amount of stuff, grilled sweet corn is way up there. G/f says keep grilling her asparagus, do not smoke it. I like smoked food a lot more than she does. Unfortunately, between my insulin dependence and her diet (she's lost 70+ lbs in the last several months,) desserts are few and far between.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 21st, 2019, 5:50 pm

I agree. I’m a diabetic too. But I raised a lot of kids with that southern sweet tooth. Between the wife’s 3 my 2 and 3 foster kids along with all their friends. My place was popular when they saw the smoke rising in backyard. Lol
When my youngest foster daughter graduated from high school I know I smoked about 50# of meats plus all the trimmings. IIRC there was about 150 family and guests.
That was before I bought my place out here in the country.
I’ve cooked for as many as 550-600 ppl on that trailer smoker at one time. My kids n family members still beg me to build another one and sell my Q or even open a cafe. Well at nearly 50 and retired I often ask my self if I should do it. I retired from the Marine Corps and later sold my trucking company.
Yeah trailer thieves and cattle thieves should both be shot on the spot. NK.
On the asparagus I use Ms.Dash,butter, a little black pepper. Roll the bunch tightly in tin foil put in the smoker until you hear it starting to sizzle then take it out of the smoker and directly to the charcoal grill in wrap it while keeping it on the tin foil roll the veggies to keep the butter from burning and viola it’s tenderly done RTE.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » April 21st, 2019, 7:02 pm

Heh.... best way to end up with a small fortune in food service is to start with a large one. And that starts to sound like real work. :)

I've smoked a couple of times for 50-70 people. Piece of cake with mine, could easily go more. I do intend on building a trailer for it at some point.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 21st, 2019, 7:28 pm

JKalchik wrote:Heh.... best way to end up with a small fortune in food service is to start with a large one. And that starts to sound like real work. :)

I've smoked a couple of times for 50-70 people. Piece of cake with mine, could easily go more. I do intend on building a trailer for it at some point.
Sounds like you know a thing or 2 about truckin. LOL.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Return to “Let's Talk!”