Offset smoker VS UDS

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Newsmoke
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Offset smoker VS UDS

Post by Newsmoke » February 27th, 2019, 3:10 am

Hi Guys,

I'm discovering a bit the bbq scene in France and starting to discuss with a few people. On point came by and I wanted to have your thoughts on it.
I talked with a guy doing a lot of competition in europe. He told me that more more people were using the UDS smoker instead of an offset smoker.
The reason behind it was that the cooking pressure was higher in a UDS allowing for a better cooking of brisket for example. (the UDS guys were winning competition in europe) Do you share that statement? Is the pressure a important factor in the cooking process? I would say yes. In that case how can an offset smoker be improved in order to increase pressure in the CC?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Offset smoker VS UDS

Post by Big T » February 27th, 2019, 8:32 pm

I don't see how you can build a lot pressure in a UDS with a 2'' exhaust in the top of the lid. If there was any pressure inside the drum, I doubt it would be enough to have any affect on the cooking process. The one thing that comes to mind is that a UDS runs at a steady temperature once it's dialed in where as an offset takes a lot of skill to maintain an even temperature and even then you'll still have some fluctuation. The drum guys can concentrate on their taste and texture of the meat and not have to worry with tending a fire but the guy with the offset has more to keep up with. I truly believe that it's more about the cook and less about the pit. I've seen guys cook some great food on some thrown together cookers and I've had some terrible food from a top of the line cooker. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Offset smoker VS UDS

Post by Dirtytires » February 27th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Well put. We all design our pits to NOT have pressure. We want a steady airflow into the firebox, thru the cook chamber and out the chiminey. Without airflow we risk having ‘stale’ smoke which can leave a bitter taste to the meat. In order to build pressure, one would need to restrict the exaust while introducing more air into the system.

UDS are fun, easy to operate and relatively inexpensive to build. A guy run several of them pretty easily and have each one at his optimum temp and reach height for each meat. A couple of offsets gets real tricky and expensive.

Use what you want. They all are capable of cooking great food.

Return to “Let's Talk!”