Calculation check

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
Newsmoke
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Calculation check

Post by Newsmoke » June 19th, 2018, 1:47 am

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my calculation for my normal off set smoker. I don't understand why I need 5 inlets for the air intake as I am a 100% differential.
If i make it bigger the differential goes up to 180%. So based on the calculations do I need to make 5 air inlets the size I have written in the "air inlets" section? Those are odd numbers for you as we are using Metric system, so I had to convert everything.

I also have a vocabulary problem: is the baffle plate a short plate that is installed in the CC above the FB throat just to avoid a hot temperature in the cooking area just next to the FB? The tuning plate is running across the bottom of the CC to insure a even radiant heat, is it correct? If so is there a thread on how to calculate the spacing and position in the CC? Is that really necessary?

Thanks to all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: Calculation check

Post by Pete Mazz » June 19th, 2018, 4:04 am

Look at the recommended size for intakes and use that to size however many you actually want. If it said 90 sq.in. and you wanted 3 intakes, make them 30 each.

For a RF cooker the BP runs from the top of the FB across the CC to force the heat/smoke to flow over the food and out the stack at the FB end. Tuning plates are used in a traditional offset with a stack at the opposite end of the FB.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 148&t=4955

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 19th, 2018, 9:46 am

Yep. To be specific, yours calls for 83 sq inches. I like 1 intake on each side of the firebox so would make them approx 8.25 inches by 5 inches or 4.5 by 9 or whatever looks/fits good on your firebox.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 20th, 2018, 9:25 am

Yeah that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “SmokerBuilder® Calculators”