Help with insulated cabinet calcs

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
Shannon
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing anymore...

Help with insulated cabinet calcs

Post by Shannon » November 17th, 2017, 9:31 pm

I'm working on calculations for an insulated, reverse flow, vertical cabinet stick burner. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the common calculator (feldons) are not really for my application. Cook chamber will be 30h x 21w x 26 long (deep). Can anyone help with some guidance on firebox size please?

Shannon

Oklahoma Joe trailer rig
Hasty Bake Legacy
Green Mountain Bowie
Weber 18" kettle

Gary_G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: RE: Help with insulated cabinet calcs

Post by Gary_G » November 18th, 2017, 10:36 am

Shannon wrote:I'm working on calculations for an insulated, reverse flow, vertical cabinet stick burner. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the common calculator (feldons) are not really for my application. Cook chamber will be 30h x 21w x 26 long (deep). Can anyone help with some guidance on firebox size please?

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

I have never built a stick burner, but always liked the smell and flavor that comes from cooking with natural wood.

I am new here, so I will just ask questions until some of the others chime in...

Can you tell us a little more about your plans for the smoker ?

What kind of wood are you planning to use ? The wood species have slight differences in the heat they produce (and flavor).

The fuel is an important design and usability consideration. (Someone will be cutting and splitting wood into sticks)

How about the average size and shapes [1" diameter sticks, 2" diameter sticks, small, medium or large splits, chunks, etc, etc...]

Are you thinking about using a natural draft with dampers, or forced air to stoke them sticks ?

The use of a vertical cabinet is a given, but will it be insulated ?

Hopefully this will help move the discussion along...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Regards,
Gary

Shannon
beginner
beginner

Re: Help with insulated cabinet calcs

Post by Shannon » November 18th, 2017, 7:43 pm

I do different charity cooks during the year, usually pork butts. The proposed cabinet will bridge the gap between my Hasty Bake Legacy (will do 6 smaller butts) and the Oklahoma Joe trailer rig (28 butts). Hoping to do up to 18 in the cabinet.

For the trailer rig, I usually use hedge (osage orange) for heat wood since I have an free, endless supply. Burns very hot. I use several different flavor woods depending on what I'm cooking. Cherry or apple for the butts, pecan or hickory are good for briskets. Wood size would be a medium split about a foot long. Picture an 8"- 10" log split in half. May have to go a little smaller for this cabinet build. I use lump for heat in the Hasty Bake and chunk (fist sized) flavor wood.

Doing a natural draft on this one and yes it will be insulated. Which is why I asked the original question. I believe that the common calculators will recommend a way over sized firebox. That could make it difficult to produce a proper draft and a cleaner burn, for better smoke quality.

Shannon

Oklahoma Joe trailer rig
Hasty Bake Legacy
Green Mountain Bowie
Weber 18" kettle

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 19th, 2017, 5:11 am

You're right about the calculator. it's designed for horizontal cookers . I'd make the FB only as big as needed for a small fire. I always thought a FB drawer was the way to go with an ash pan below. An insulated vertical is very efficient . I also never thought a RF was necessary. A simple shadow plate or diffuser is all that's needed IMO. I'd maybe change the size to 24 x 24 and go a bit higher.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Shannon
beginner
beginner

Post by Shannon » November 19th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Thanks Pete.

Oklahoma Joe trailer rig
Hasty Bake Legacy
Green Mountain Bowie
Weber 18" kettle

Return to “SmokerBuilder® Calculators”