New build new questions

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: New build new questions

Post by Dirtytires » April 7th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I wouldn’t bother insulating the door unless the rest of the firebox is going to be also.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » April 8th, 2019, 2:10 am

yes i plan to insulate the entire FB

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 8th, 2019, 11:34 am

I put my vents in the sides so the door was pretty simple. Used 0.25 plate for both walls since the outerskin was also the flange (and this matches the thickness and look of the rest of them). The divider was 1x0.25 flat bar and it has a sheet of ceramic insulation between.

Only thing I had to cut thru the door was the handle/latch lever and I used a small piece of pipe to sleeve that.

6C1C4CFC-9218-441A-8E9C-A823EB9EE7A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » April 8th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Thanks @dirtytires ! I was just gonna ask the recommended thickness for the FB walls! You beat me to it! :D I guess the thicker the better (6mm or 0.25 inch). Would you say that 0.25 inch is good for the inner wall and 0.12 inch for outer wall? or better go all out on the 0.25inch?

I am going to purchase a welder, as I mostly built outside I was wondering if a MMA welder would be better suited also I don't have a huge budget around 500euros so I guess this would fit more than buying a crappy MIG/MAG

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 8th, 2019, 6:52 pm

The inside should be as thick as you can work with. Like many here, I used 0.25 for the inner walls of the firebox (as well as the whole cook chamber.) The outer skin is just to hold the insulation. I like to go thick enough as not to dent too easily. 12 guage is more than enough for the outer skin.

I’m not the professional welder here but in my experience welding outside is a little different. For outdoor welding, I keep a tank of straight CO2. If it is super windy, the gas becomes worthless and I break out the flux core wire. You don’t need shielding gas to weld but can be added at a later time if your machine allows it.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » April 12th, 2019, 9:49 pm

As i will insulate the FB I was wondering what rating should this insulation be in terms of temperature?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 13th, 2019, 10:21 am

Fire will reach 1100 degrees Fahrenheit. Using anything less than that would be a mistake.

Return to “Standard Offsets”