My first try 200L smoker

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: My first try 200L smoker

Post by towtruck » November 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Just looking at it the stack looks big...have you tried to cap the stack to regulate the heat and slow things down?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 20th, 2018, 9:12 pm

:yth: The stack is what draws the heat from the FB and it could be sucking the heat out of the FB and straight out of the stack. I would lay a piece of plate on top of the stack and block 50% of the opening and try a test burn. You can adjust it some once you're up to temp and see which way to go with it.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » November 21st, 2018, 1:22 pm

No I haven't and it's true that I didn't respect the length from the calculator which was suggesting half the size of the current stack. As I found the great quality stack I didn't have the stomach to chop it shorter. Let's try closing up half the cheminee

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 21st, 2018, 6:20 pm

Where are your intake vents and how big is the opening when you are running? Too much air will cause quick burns so oversized vents or air leaks are pretty common culprits.

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » November 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

I think it's both the stack and the air intake. My stack is too high and I need to learn how to control the flow of air by the FB door opening

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » November 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Can I use high temp silicon to seal some leaks near the FB or CC?

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » November 22nd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Newsmoke wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm
I think it's both the stack and the air intake. My stack is too high and I need to learn how to control the flow of air by the FB door opening
If you are controlling air intake by opening the door only (i don't see your intake)you are going to be chasing your tail.....you need an intake you can shut down and open somewhat precisely to control the air.

There is high temp food grade silicone to be had....I would not use ordinary silicone.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » November 22nd, 2018, 7:52 pm

Ditto...the firebox door is just not adjustable enough to controll your fire. I get my dampers down to between 1 to 3 sq inches on a cook and see temp changes by adjusting within that range. Just no way you can close your door to 1 sq inch.

Put in a low mounter slide damper and your efforts will pay off greatly.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 3rd, 2018, 4:00 am

Newsmoke wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:25 pm
I don't know if it's the right thread to talk about it but I have a hard time to keep some coals. For some reason the combustion is too efficient and I am burning wood like matches. I am thinking to remove the grate in the FB as I think it is too large and leaving to much air coming from below
It's all about airflow. Things that come to mind: did you stick with recommended size from calculator?, is your wood too dry? Maybe try different wood/ larger splits., is the firebox air tight? Either way it's gonna take practice adjusting vents and figuring out how large of fire to build, I don't have any real practice with a stick burner so I'll leave that to the pros

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » December 12th, 2018, 9:48 am

I think one of my current problem is the lack of different size of wood, making it very hard to adjust as it is a constant yoyo. Also I am starting now to understand how to get a proper coal bed. I will also in the near futur get a proper buffer plate to insure a more harmonised temp.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 13th, 2018, 10:44 am

Sorry to be repetitive but you really need to add air intake vents on the firebox. Trying to adjust airflow with a door is near impossible and you will be fighting your fire forever.

Return to “Standard Offsets”