Should I lower the stack?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
smoke_savage
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Should I lower the stack?

Post by smoke_savage » January 26th, 2018, 2:56 am

Hi dudes,
I’ve been modifying my smoker with great results, all thanks to this forum.
She’s running nicely, I’m based in the uk, cold and wet most the year so efficiency is the key!

My smoker is an obscure German model, 7mm thick and only a small garden model. I’ve got a fire box to cook chamber baffle in place which works great to even temps, it’s a ceramic foam stone with holes in it, it directs most the heat straight up the the roof of the cook chamber but still allows some through to the cooking grate level, the result being, very hot temps from the pit thermometer and a lot lower temps on the grill surface, it’s more than a 50f difference.

Now, my smoke stack is a traditional one, mounted in the top portion of the smoker, so the heat issue in the roof makes sense.
I have a fabricator ready to drop it to grill height to bring the hot spot lower.

My question is would this be wise, am I really able to force hot air down that way?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Should I lower the stack?

Post by Dirtytires » January 26th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Heat is always going to rise. By lowering the exhaust to the grate level you can trap smoke in the upper chamber. Stale smoke drops some of the combustion by-products and can cause bitter meat if you are not careful.

I cooked with such a setup for a while and I had to keep a super hot fire to keep the airflow going. It was definitely not as efficient as my current one which has the exhaust at the top.

Maybe try by experimenting with a removable collar on the inside so you can see if it does what you want before you have something welded.

Everyone has their own preferences...

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 26th, 2018, 10:38 pm

:yth: I agree with DT, I would do some testing with something removable before welding it in place.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

smoke_savage

Post by smoke_savage » January 27th, 2018, 3:15 am

Great point guys, something cheap and removable is a good first step

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » January 28th, 2018, 9:38 am

your pit sounds a lot like the Oklahoma Joe smokers. we make a baffle plate for those models. what we have noticed is when the baffle plate is in use, the stack being lower lends poor results. without the baffle the lower stack on a traditional offset works ok. If your smoker is in good enough shape and your willing to throw some money at it to modify it, then maybe have your fab guy move the stack to the firebox side and do a solid baffle plate using something close to 1/8th inch. like 10 gauge.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Standard Offsets”