Air gap for insulated firebox ??

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
cparker2277
beginner
beginner

Air gap for insulated firebox ??

Post by cparker2277 » January 21st, 2018, 11:00 pm

Hey guys I'm a newbie and have asked a few questions akready and really appreciate the advice Iv gotten ! My FB is 20.5 square and like the idea of it being insulated making it more efficient. I like things to be simple so the idea of using an air gap as an insulator sounds great to me if it's effective. I'm using 1/4" steel plate and am thinking about either making it just double walled or putting a small air gap between on the four sides. I will have a warming box on top to act as insulation there and assume the bottom doesn't need insulation. How effective will either if these be for me or am I wasting my time and $$??

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Air gap for insulated firebox ??

Post by Rodcrafter » February 9th, 2018, 10:42 pm

I haven’t done that on my cookers yet. I think I will on my next one. I do mean insulation on the FB. I have used it between the FB and WC it works amazingly. As for the air gap that is the only place I would try that. Even though it won’t stop the heat it will reduce it and still be useful.

jm2cw

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Standard Offsets”