Warmer box with baffles?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
cparker2277
beginner
beginner

Warmer box with baffles?

Post by cparker2277 » January 19th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Okay guys I need some advice. I'm building a smoker to go on my new BBQ trailer. It is a 24" pipe and will have a 53" CC with a 20.5" square insulated firebox. I am going to add a warming box on top of the firebox to hold meat. From what I'm reading the temperature in the warming box should run 50-75 degrees cooler than CC just from the ambient temperature off the top plate of FB. To make it more versatile I am wanting to put a baffle in top of the firebox so I can leave it closed and use as a warmer or partially open to smoke different meats at different temps depending on how much heat I need. I was thinking of using an 8" grinder wheel or something of similar size on threads so I can unscrew it as much as I want depending on temp I'm shooting for or remove all together to mayb even sear or grill something. Anyone have any thoughts or better ideas??

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Warmer box with baffles?

Post by Rodcrafter » January 19th, 2018, 4:53 pm

I can’t say what temperature it would run for sure, if you were just going to have it sealed off from the FB you may want to put a cold air inlet in and an exhaust in the top to be sure you could control the temperature. Now if you want to cut an opening into the FB and use a damper you would still need the exhaust and air vents. I used 3/8” plate for the top of my FB, then 2” of 2000* ceramic wool insulation, then 1/4” plate for the bottom of my WC with a 6”x6” square tube between the 2 boxes. I didn’t need the air vents and I can run just about any temperature I want just using the damper and stack damper. I personally wouldn’t use an abrasive disc as a damper between the 2 because of the heat and smoke going where the food is going to be. I don’t know if that may put off some chemical or not.

I hope that will help.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 19th, 2018, 6:55 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 20th, 2018, 12:43 am

I used a 0.5 inch thick 4 inch dia pipe for my go-between. Put a slide damper on it similiar to above.

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » January 20th, 2018, 9:16 am

I put a pin wheel in the back of my cabinet in the cc. Radiant heat warms the cabinet I can open it up to smoke and at the top is a slide vent to help cool it down. I have so problems running 275 hot and 145 to maintain meat.

cparker2277
beginner
beginner

Post by cparker2277 » January 20th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Great info thanks guys !

Return to “Standard Offsets”